Chapter 27: Coincidence

Carlos had been very lucky that his house had survived undamaged, bar multiple scratches all over the door and fingerprints all over though window. Robin, on the other hand, hadn't been so fortunate. The high wind had smashed a large tree straight into his front window, shattering the glass and littering the razor-sharp pieces all over the carpet. He could just about live with the death trap, but Night Vale couldn't leave it at that. The tree had start talking. Two days of 24 hour babbling and Robin near lost his mind. He opted to sleep in the lab until the clean-up effort was over. Unfortunately for him, there was a lot to fix around town and Robin was very low down on the priority list. Carlos, sympathetic to his predicament, offered up his sofa. After all, nobody liked sleeping in the lab.

"Thanks again for this man." Said Robin as he set up his blankets and pillows. He hadn't been able to get much out of his house having virtually fled in under to get some peace and quiet and he refused to go back until the tree was gone. All he had was the blankets that Carlos had left at the lab for his own emergencies, a few spare pillows from Carlos' cupboard, some new toiletries from the Ralph's, and rubber duck that he'd grabbed in a panic.

"No problem. Weird things happened in that storm. I get it." Carlos shrugged.

"You're still on that?" Robin sighed. Carlos had told the story of Mr Markson's miraculous appearance once and only. No-one believed him. Nobody seemed to believe him about many things for the last few weeks. At least there was one good thing about inevitably having to leave Night Vale, he'd probably go back to The University of What It Is where he was respected.

"Yes, I'm still on that. It happened, Robin, I swear." Carlos insisted.

"You imagined it. Loads of people imagined seeing their double that day."

"Did you?"

"Well no, but other people. Night Vale residents." He explained. "But it was all just a delusion. These things happen in natural disasters. People go just a little bit crazy. Then again, this town is already a little bit crazy, so things get kind of extra."

"Wait, if I saw it, does that mean I'm kind of extra?" Asked Carlos.

"Buddy, you joined and made jackets for a bowling team of a town you're not a permanent resident of just to spend more time with your crush. Do you think you're extra?" Asked Robin as he sat on top of the blankets.

"Try telling Cecil and Dana that it was a delusion, that's all I'm saying."

"Here's what I don't get. Everyone else saw their exact double, but you saw Mr Markson."

"Yes, well he looked just like me, but it was definitely his voice."

"Huh, I agree with Jess that he looks kind of like you, but just like you? No."

"You know now that I think about Cecil-"

"Urgh."

"Cecil didn't see his exact double either. At least...I don't think he did. It was another voice. Some guy called Kevin."

"...Kevin?" Robin raised his eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Did he say where he was from?" A newfound urgency shot through Robin's voice, like he was on the verge of some major discovery.

"I...think so? I'm don't really recall."

"Wait here."

"Where are y-"Robin shot of the sofa like a speeding bullet and ran out of the apartment. Should he follow him? Probably not. Robin clearly had a plan and he wasn't going to interfere with it. At least his sofa was covered in comfortable blankets and pillows. He could easily lock the door and have a relaxing nap. He'd earned it. He still decided against it. He didn't want to deal with the fallout when he visited the lab again.

Robin returned about ten minutes later drenched in sweat and panting for breath with a silver picture frame on his hand. He threw himself down next to Carlos, who had made himself comfortable on the sofa.

"This was on Marsha's desk. She's told me about it before. A while ago Mr Markson took a team just like ours to a similar town. He even tagged along himself. Last time he ever went out for field research."

"Why doesn't he anymore?" Asked Carlos as he inspected the picture. There was four people in the picture. Marsha and Jess stood smiling in white lab coats. They looked younger by at least five years, but it could have been longer. In between them there was a man in a black suit and tie that looked just like him, also smiling. He presumed that was Mr Markson. He'd aged a lot in five years. An extreme amount.

"Nobody knows for sure, but we think it's got something to do with this guy." Robin pointed at a man crouching in front Mr Markson. A man that looked exactly like Cecil.

"Is that..."

"Kevin Freeman, the radio host. The way Marsha tells it he and Mr Markson were really close."

"So, what happened?"

"Apparently there was some big blowout fight just before the team left. Lots of shouting. Lots of screaming. Jess and Marsha say he was never really the same after that. At least, that's how they tell it." Robin recounted.

"Huh..."

"Kinda of a coincidence isn't it? You and Cecil, Mr Markson and Kevin..."

"Yeah...coincidence." Carlos mumbled.

"Maybe radio hosts have a type." Robin shrugged. "I should probably get this back to Marsha's desk before she notices it's gone. I'll order some food when I get back. My treat."

"Thank you..." Robin rose to his feet and headed for the door, less rushed this time. "Hey, Robin." Carlos called after him.

"Yeah?" Robin turned.

"What were they doing there? In the other town."

"I don't know, man. I wasn't there. I'll be back before you know I'm gone." And with that he left, slamming the door and leaving Carlos in the shaking building.