New Neighbour

(A little deviation from my current one shots... A little new. This is set around season 8, after Meave's death)

She sighed as she placed another box aside as she dusted her bookshelf.

Moving was painful enough and not to mention she had the whole place renovated and yet she did not feel welcome yet.

"Hey Ruth! Where do I place this box?!?" Her best friend and confidant Ashley asked as she heaved the box inside.

"Uhh.... That is the kitchen items... So.....the store room in the kitchen." She replied as she stacked the books.

"Phew! that was hard! We have one more huge box and it is seriously heavy!" Ashley opened the fridge and chugged down a bottle of water.

"I used all the compensation money from the housing society for the renovation.... I am sorry." Her eyes filled up as she left the last book on the table.

"What happened? Ruth... You are usually not against change and you had the apartment changed to your liking.... What's wrong?" Ashley led Ruth out of the room.

"I.... I dont know.... The old house had very few people and here its packed... I cannot look into someone's eye without reading them or having an instinct to run away." She sighed.

Eversince she could remember... She would somehow read people and then stay away (majority of the population were jerks). It affected her ability to make friends

"Ruth... You still interact with people so it okay... You are still upset about the whole Marylyn thing arent you?" Ashley rolled her eyes as pushed the heavy box.

"Was it better I didnt tell her about Conner?" Ruth lowered her head as she grabbed the other end

"No. She will be angry for a while but she will realize that she is lucky she didnt marry a con man." Ashley replied simply.

"Okay.... Ash.... I think the box is break....king!!!!!"
***************
He had returned from a rather heavy case. He was surprised by seeing the moving truck when he remembered that Mrs. Cavanaugh had moved out.

He was openeing his door when the saw 2 women carry a rather heavy box up the stairs.

"Wah... Just one more flight! Why is it breakin!?!" One of them complained while the other was also panicking.

"We should have used the elevator! What is in this box Ruth?!?! Woah!!!!!" They had just reached the landing when the box came apart

Reid stood as he watched numerous books fall out with the girl supposedly named Ruth, reduce to tears.

"My books!" She tried to grab a bunch in her hand.

"Uhh... Ruth.... Why the hell are they more than I remember?" The friend looks rather pissed.

"I brought more? I couldnt help it! They were in the store crying out to me!!!!" She whinned.

He chuckled as he approached them.

"Do you need any help?" He asked when their eyes met.

Her eyes widened as her cheeks and ears turned a pale pink.

"Oh please! We do! Bookworm here had too many book." Ashley replied.

"You can never have too many books." Ruth replied in a small voice as she remained sitting on the floor with the books.

"I agree." Reid chuckled which only made the colour om her cheeks deepen.

"We would like your help" Ashley smiled as she watched Ruth
***********
"Oh boy... That is the lot..." Ashley cracked her neck as Ruth and Reid began to organize the shelf.