Doe eyed

(Another oneshot completely off track😅)

Spencer Reid was nervous.

24 years old, still new in the biz, he had managed to figure out the kidnappers.

Actually... It was the mistake on the unsub's part.

He broke his pattern and kidnapped a girl who had a family.

The persistance of the family and also with the help of a social worker, they realized a pattern.

The unsub kidnapped orphaned or run away girls.

Not ones with families... Especially this girl whose father was a naval officer.

Within 32 hours of her kidnapping, she had managed to contact them using a walkie-talkie and changing radio frequences.

She was barely 11.

This narrowed it down further and they managed to arrest the guy and save the girls in time.

However, except for her, the other girls had no one... Nothing.

Now he felt even more awkward standing next to her as they waited for her parents.

"I do not bite you know." The child looked at him with wide brown doe eyes.

He had never such kind yet sad eyes in his life.

"I know you don't. I just do not like talking to humans." The girl shrugged as she scratched a new formed scab on her neck.

When they found her, she had been beaten and cut.

Yet she seemed unfazed.

"You should not scratch your scab open. They might scar." Reid pointed out.

"Like I care." She replied but she stopped picking at it.

Her personality surprised him. She was only 11 but there something mature yet stuborn about her.

She remained silent as she gently massaged her elbow which was in a splint.

"I saw him grab some girl on the street. I usually dont play hero but I just could not...watch it... Next thing... I was here for trying to save someone." She spoke up suddenly.

"You are the reason he broke his pattern and got caught." Reid pointed out.

He hoped she would smile but all she did was sulk.

"There are many men like that guy... How did you know it was him?" She asked as she turned to him.

"Well... Its partly thanks to your parents. They pressured the police and the NCIS causing us to be called. We profiled the unsub to be male in his late 20-30s with an obession of "adopting" and "disciplining" so called astry kids who were orphaned. I think your intervention made him believe you were astray too." Reid answered when she gave a harsh snort.

"He was partly right. My teachers said I was useless and always astray." She replied with a rather sad smile.

"They did?" Reid blinked surprised.

"They said that I was trying too hard to be smart and did not deserve where I stood. They also kept snitching false stuff to my parents and sided with the girls who used to bully me. My form teacher's daughter is in the same grade and as my older brother... And my brother is really good in school and better than her daughter.... So to humiliate us further, she kept calling my brother for stupid things... I mean I am a kid... Every kid does this stuff... Why is it wrong when its me." She ranted as she rubbed her eyes.

Reid remained silent. Bullying was something he was no stranger to.

"I begged my parents to let me go to another school... But my grades are never high. I was always marked down. This is why you should never attend a school where your father's colleague's wives are working. They take out their frustrations on the kid. Maybe it was better that man killed me... Maybe my parents would be better off without me." She blinked a tear as she furiously rubbed her eyes.