07 : Unsafe Safety

Chapter 7

WELCOME TO MONTRESVILLE, screamed the huge white letters on the green sign on the side of the road. Montresville was the third town away from Mystic Falls. It was small, warm and inviting. Or so it conveyed the impression of it until the past few days.

"Come on Suzy! We should go home," a masculine voice echoed through the thick silence that always surrounded the woods when it was late at night, "There's been two reports of missing people yesterday. That never happens here, it's supposed to be safe. I say we just go back and forget about your plan of lurking the culprit to us."

"Are you scared Jamie-James?" a playful blonde cooed, tugging on the guy's plaid jacket and pulling him deeper into the forest, "I thought a guy like you could handle so much more."

Suzy must've hit James's pride and dignity exactly where she intended to because he suddenly shook off her grip from his clothing and firmly declared :

"I can handle anything. Do not try to mess with my emotions."

"Or else?" Suzanna flirtatiously giggled, taking a step closer to him.

James didn't answer anything. He instead let her caress his hand and pass a few fingers in his hair. He knew how Suzy could get most of time and the only moments when she wasn't so annoying were the ones she wanted him. Kind of like tonight.

If he had decided to talk back and confront her once more about her tendencies of pushing him into trouble, she would've started to whine like a child and would follow another argument that would somehow end with a slap and a few tears.

He knew much better.

It might've made him appear weak in the eyes of the others -his whole football team did came up with the nickname 'J-Whipped' for him afterall- but he couldn't care less.

Suzanna was hot, smart and caring. In the end, he was the one who was winning.

As she placed her lips on his, he almost forgot about their whereabouts and the danger that could unravel anytime soon. But it felt so good that he let it pass, for once.

Big mistake.

He thought about how stupid and reckless they were, to be kissing each other in the middle of the night, as it was well over both of their curfews and a series of mysterious attacks had occured very recently near the place they were currently standing at.

A moan escaped Suzanna's lips as he returned her a passionate kiss. James aprubtly broke their flaming embrace, causing Suzy's disappointment. He had heard the crack of a branch, under a footstep.

"Did you hear that?" he demanded, uneasy.

Suzy mouthed no as she picked up the loose sweater that managed to fall onto the ground during their short but heated make-out session. She had sensed that James was not in the mood anymore. He was scared because of a noise he probably hallucinated in the first place -the boy was too easily frightened. Hearing the news of Sophia Dale's disparition was all it took for him to be reluctant to follow Suzanna into the woods.

But Suzy was never scared.

Plus, she knew Sophia from elementary school and she was an attention-seeker. Suzy was sure that Sophia had faked her disparition, right after hearing the news of recent rampages. The timing was perfect.

Montresville's inhabitants were persuaded that the attacks and the disparation were the work of the same person. The town wasn't exactly in need of a serial killer right now, but then again, what kind of town does?

"We really should leave right now," he huffed, holding her hand and pulling her into the direction they originally came from.

"And I say that everything is fine, there's nothing worth freaking out about, okay?" she protested, pulling apart from his touch.