Chapter Eight

"I'm sorry, sister." James started, a long while later. I sighed. I had figured there was nothing we could do for a while now. After my quick stint in that little Parisian town, I had spent the next few weeks in New York doing business before flying out all over the world doing business for my companies and improving my brand. When the work had been done, and we had spent four months flying around the world, we went to Europe with my girlfriends for a quick European tour that I was co-headlining with one of my closest friends. I had been stupendously busy, but the conversations with Francis never left my mind for a second.

James, CC and I had been video calling each other frequently, but after almost three weeks in Europe, we finally had our answer regarding the engagement. Victoria tried her hardest, but since we couldn't tempt Henry with money, I had no choice.

I was now almost twenty years old. We'd been fighting the Valois for some time now, management attempting to make Scarlett more sexy to try and embarrass them out of the engagement, but nothing had worked. No matter how much money I offered, nor how many many provocative songs, albums or pictures, they were still standing by their decision.

"We did all we could," Victoria added. She was with James on one side of my screen, CC on the other. He was in Italy with his fathers' family and doing some business with some people, whilst I was in Germany with my girlfriends.

"I know," I nodded, my body deflating. "I know." I sighed.

"But, we managed to slow this process down for you,"

"How so?" I asked.

"Originally, they wanted everything to be done and happened by August," James said.

"But that's two months away," I acknowledged.

"It is. We managed to push it back to December," Victoria said, as if that made it better. Francis and I hadn't spoken in what felt like forever. How could this go well?

"And?"

"I've drawn up a contract with the Valois lawyer, and we seem satisfied."

"How satisfied? What have you done?" I questioned.

"All your money and companies belong to you. The Valois can't have any of it unless you say so, but only you three. They can't take any money that belongs to you, your brand or the company, as well as the companies themselves. They will always be in your name. They can't take over or have any standing in your companies, or your brand. Everything they want has to go through all of you. And, if you divorce, it will remain the same. If you have a child who inherits all the companies, they will only inherit your percent of the company, as well as you two by the way, and it will remain so as long as your companies are active. Now, if you have a child and he or she inherits the companies, no money from your companies or your inheritance can go to Valois."

"And what do they get?" I asked, feeling slightly better about the fact my companies and money were safe.

"They get whatever they need to get the ball rolling again, but as soon as they're okay again and start to hold up their end of the bargain, they don't get a single cent unless all three of you say so."

"Wait," CC said slowly. "What you propose is simply a business deal with a random marriage thrown inside."

"It is indeed," Victoria grinned. "If this relationship is simply a business deal and the marriage proves fruitless, the Valois will have gotten what they wanted, you would have had a little extra income, they would sour on the marriage and start to push for its ending, which gives us grounds for," she trailed off.

"Divorce!" I beamed.

"Even better, baby doll."

"Annulment?!" my eyes widened. "It'll be like it never existed!"