Chapter Thirty Nine

"And, a world exclusive, preforming for the first time in six months, a tribute to her recently deceased mother, ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Scarlett Beauliau!"

Leaving Archer, my bags and Brie in the car, Madison and I sped out of the backseats of the large vehicle and sprinted into the large hospital in which my monster lay dying and my brother sat suffering. She knew where she was, so I followed her. It was the dead of night, the only people in the hallways were nurses and doctors and visitors who didn't have a lot of time left.

I sprinted faster than ever before, my heart pumping and breaking in my chest. I cried softly, running faster and faster as we scaled corridor after corridor, turning with loud 'squeaks' of our heels, before scaling the open area with renewed vigour.

I stood nervously at the mic stand as the band slowly started counting me in. I felt the cameras start recording, somehow self conscious as I stood in my dark blue jeans and black lace blouse and boots. My hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, minimal makeup upon my face. I took a deep, calming breath, slowly grasping the guitar that hung from the strap across my shoulders. Then, I began to play.

"When it gets real

Just know that I'll be there
I got your back, like it's just you and me here
I'll go to war for you, let them bring it" I stressed, my body trembling slightly as I sung a seven hour old song that meant more to me than almost any other. I looked at my choreographer as he mouthed the words a few moments in front of me. I followed his lips, but took no comfort in comparison to those beautiful blue eyes that I saw next to him. Blonde curled and big orbed, he somehow appeared to me the playmate of my childhood. Somehow, I felt like the little, broken girl of his.

 Tears kissed my cheeks as she had never done as we continued to try and make it there in time. Several minutes of running later, we came face to face with a short African-American woman with a blue uniform and golden braids pulled back in a bun. She smiled at me, letting me into the waiting corridor. Maddie waited outside.

"It's okay, darling." she soothed my fears. "You're not too late, she's still here." she took my hands. I inhaled air quickly. "Your brother Francois is waiting in the corridor for you, shall we go to him?" I followed her like a lost puppy, walking three more coridoors until I saw CC hunched over a blue plastic chair.

"Francois." I stated his real name, tears coming right back to my eyes. He shot up and embraced me in a big bear hug. I clung to him tightly.

"Mariposa," he breathed, holding me with a bruising force. "I didn't think I could be able to find you in time."

"I'll take on the world for you, better believe it
So if you need me, just holler my name" I felt the tears burning as I continued to sing and play, far more stripped back and vulnerable than ever before. My heart ached inside of my chest and I wanted to run away. But my boots stayed where they were, planted and firm. I had to do this. I had to continue.

"Where is she?" I asked, scared and vulnerable and five again. I held his hand as I had held officer Pedesco's a world ago. "Where is she?"

"She's in there-" he nodded to a room with a closed door. He let my hand go and cupped my cheeks. "Can you do this?"

"Absolutely," I answered. "Can you?"

He didn't answer, just held out his hand, the other falling form my face. I took it. He opened the door. And there, I came face to face with my monster for the first time since I was six years old.

"We ain't never scared, no we're not afraid
Whenever, whatever, know I'm down for life
I'm your ride or die" I closed my eyes, wallowing in the pain of the girl for just a mere moment. I couldn't be strong anymore. I had to feel. I didn't want to be brave any more.