13 | A way out?

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Time was passing achingly slow. Laying in bed I was trying to get some sleep but at the same time I wouldn't stop thinking about David's plan. Staring at the ceiling in the dark I took a deep breath. Just the spare light of the candles from the corridor were illuminating my room a bit plus it was achingly hot. I played with the thought of leaving my room just for a minute to inhale the cool air of the corridor but Miss Venable's house-rules clearly stated that leaving the room at night is interdicted. To avoid trouble I decided to stay in my room. I wouldn't have to live here soon any longer anyway. I closed my eyes and forced myself to relax. While I was imagining David and me escaping the outpost and starting a new life in another outpost without fear and sorrows I slowly started to fall asleep.

As soon as I heard noise and footsteps from the corridor in the morning I slowly blinked and rubbed my eyes. Noting that I hadn't sleep that well since weeks I smiled to myself and got out of bed. Having changed my gray dress and having gotten ready for today I left my room with new hope and excitement.

In the evening me and two other Grays were standing at the end of the stairways near the central fireplace which was illuminating the major hall. I watched Mr. Gallant and Coco arriving in the dining area heading straight for their seats without saying a word as usual when it comes to having dinner. Having taken a seat they were eyeing each other for a split second but soon after that Coco was busy fixing her shaggy blond hair. Mrs. Gallant closely followed by Emily arrived and after having taken a seat Mrs. Gallant was the first one who broke the silence but I didn't pay attention to the Purples anymore when I perceived the echo of Miss Venable's cane hitting the floor. Despite being used to hear the sound everyday it still made me flinch. The two Grays who had been standing near me quickly made their way to the corridor which lead to the kitchen sector. Another girl in a gray dress joined me instead. Two guards positioned near the dining room.

The only sounds I was listening to were the sound of Miss Venable's high heel shoes and the thuds of her cane filling the air as she was descending the stairways. Instead of daring to turn around and to look in her direction I was observing the ceiling intently. I noticed that the girl next to me swallowed hard. Was she afraid of Venable? Who could blame her...Venable exactly knew how to use her presence to elicit a menacing atmosphere.

And suddenly everything went very fast and unexpected: Miss Venable had nearly reached the last few steps and was only a few inches away when I slowly turned my head in her direction. When she suddenly slipped and made a vain attempt to reach for the railing while toppling down forwards I intuitionally reached for her arm. Luckily I was somehow able to even grab her waist with both hands firmly so that I could prevent her from falling. Hearing the deafening echo of her cane who had hit the ground I lightly gasped and opened my eyes again still holding her waist tightly and realized how close Miss Venable's face was to mine. I hadn't even noticed that I'd shut my eyes. I could feel her warm breath on my neck as she turned her head into my direction and for a split second our gazes met. My heart skipped a beat and I felt a small tingle near my stomach.

- Wait! A tingle..?

Miss Venable's facial expression was impossible to read. I pulled away quickly after having assured that she had found balance again. I was afraid of her seeing me blush.

Oh my god, what's wrong with me?

"Is everything alright, Miss Venable?", Miss Mead who apparently had joined the guards during the scenario rushed to Miss Venable and handed her the cane. That was when I was released from Miss Venable's intense gaze. Having evidently composed herself again she turned to Miss Mead and cleared her throat: "Yes"