24 | Tears of humanity [Final Chapter]

──── ────

A/N: Here we go - the final chapter!! :) Thank you so much to everyone who voted for this story and made my day by writing nice comments. Your support means a lot to me! Venable is one of my favorite characters of Sarah and I really enjoyed creating a storyline with her as a main character. (And of course I hope you enjoyed reading ‚Obeying her' ❤️. )

(Feel free to listen to the song while reading :))

_______

I was leaning against the handrail, my body was tense and shaking in fear while I tried to disregard everything around me. My heart kept pounding in my chest like I'd run a marathon just a minute ago, my shaky hands clung round the cold iron of the handrail as if it gave me the needed support to prevent me from collapsing. I looked down on the big fireplace where the fire was crackling peacefully. The halls were empty. Despite the crackling it was dead silent in this area.

I slightly flinched as I perceived the sound of breathing near my ear behind me. My grip on the handrail tightened and I slightly swallowed, my gaze still lingering on the dancing flames downstairs. I could feel Miss Venable's hot breath on my neck as her chest brushed my back. Although my body stiffened in respond, her presence again intoxicated me. I could feel her plump lips and her soft cheek brushing my own cheek for a split second. I could feel the barely sensible motions of her chest raising and lowering against my back that evoked arousals in my body. I could feel the radiating heat behind her Victorian dress and her lace blouse...But what I couldn't feel was her heartbeat. It seemed like her heart was carefully hidden behind those amounts of fabric, never supposed to be found by anyone.

"It's time to go", Miss Venable breathed and I eventually let go of the handrail and reluctantly turned around, gaze lowered. She put a finger on my chin and lifted it so I had to look her in the eyes. A slight smile played on her lips as she eyed me for a moment, then she guided me to the corridor that led to Mr. Langdon's room.

Miss Mead was waiting near Mr. Langdon's door and eyed us with a blank expression when she noticed us. As she looked particularly into Miss Venable's direction she slightly nodded. My heart was hammering in my chest as Miss Venable opened the door and slowly paced into the room with Miss Mead and me following her.

"I'm a little busy right now, ladies. I'm sorry", Mr. Langdon murmured sitting in his chair and eyeing the display of his laptop.

"This won't take long", Miss Venable assured, placing both hands on her cane. Mr. Langdon turned around and leaned back, patiently waiting for the incoming reason why he'd been disturbed during work. He took a fleeting glimpse of me. "We're making the selections now, Mr. Langdon", Miss Venable continued with a calm voice. How could she stay so calm?

Mr. Langdon eyed each of us for a split second, then bursted out into laughter. Miss Venable just gave him a half-hearted smile in response. "I'm sorry. I wanted to let you have your moment but I couldn't take it in"

"Bet that's it.", Miss Venable turned around "Miss Mead -"

Miss Mead suddenly revealed a gun and pointed it into Langdon's direction. The fact that he kept smiling and didn't even seem to be frightened gave me pause. "Oh I wouldn't do that"

Miss Venable gave him a smug smirk and I visibly stiffened. I was terrified by the whole situation. Chewing my lip and trying to control my tremble I waited for the deafening sound of Miss Mead's gun but nothing happened. Miss Venable got impatient and turned to face Miss Mead again. "Miss Mead?"