17 | Venom and honey

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

════════════════════════
Warning: sexual content (certain actions of the main character occur due to a form of Stockholm Syndrome)
════════════════════════

The process of mourning was unbearable for a fragile individual like me. Normally it would have taken months or years to process everything and to acknowledge to myself what had happened. Indeed, I'd spent a lot of time crying hysterically while blaming myself day and night for the cruel incident.

Nevertheless, at some point my body had started to fight the pain I'd been confronted with. At some point I'd run out of tears and my mind had started to suppress my memories of the past days to save me, to keep me alive. I'd started to tell myself that I should be grateful for still being alive. That I should be grateful for having the opportunity to work as a Gray again.

I'd somehow managed to stifle the pain but not my constant fear of becoming the reason why people could get hurt. Miss Venable had warned me about what was going to happen if I didn't maintain appropriate behavior and fit into the system. I couldn't deal with the thought that I could become the reason for other's punishment and torture. Their lives were depending on my actions. Therefore, I'd kept suppressing the pain until it was buried deep inside me.

That was my body's solution to deal with the pain.

Weeks passed.

I'd followed every order, I'd never spoken to anyone as I'd been told. Emily once had approached me when I'd been walking down the corridor. She had tried to figure out what had happened to me in the past few weeks. I'd seen the fear and the concern in her brown, glassy eyes but as much as my mind had screamed to answer her, I hadn't done it to her and my own safety. That had been the right decision because Miss Mead apparently had observed the situation. She'd advised Emily not to talk to me and to head for the community room instead.

Right now I was heading for the sector where the other Grays did the laundry. Passing Miss Venable's room on my way, I noticed that her door was left open a crack. I instinctively stopped dead and listened to the sound of her stifled voice.

"Still strangely satisfying, isn't it?"

Was she talking to Miss Mead?

"Dispensing punishment"

I gulped and held my breath to avoid making any noise.

"I'm not embarrassed to say it gives me a tingle"

Oh my god. My stomach turned and I instantly felt sick. I didn't want to listen to this. Trying to pretend I hadn't just heard anything, I quickly scurried past the room.

Later, I arrived at Miss Venable's door again, with her freshly washed long sleeve dress and one of her white lace blouses. Heart racing in my chest, I knocked twice at her door.

"Yes?", Miss Venable's deep voice sounded behind the door.

"It's me, (Y/N). I've fetched your laundry"

"Come in"

There was no reason to be nervous. I'd done everything as I'd been told so far.

As I'd entered her room, I closed the door behind me and spotted Miss Venable sitting in an armchair near the fireplace, observing me with an intense gaze. "Closet's to your right side"

I followed her description. As I was hanging up her dress neatly between the others and put the blouse on a staple of similar white blouses, I felt her piercing gaze on my back. Remaining calm, I turned back to face her and waited for her to tell me that I could go to my room now, but apparently she had other intentions today.