18 | Dark pleasure

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

════════════════════════
Warning: sexual content (certain actions of the main character occur due to a form of Stockholm Syndrome!)
════════════════════════

The next day I tried to avoid Miss Venable as good as possible, which was hard enough considering the fact that I still was her personal Gray. To my relief I was never completely alone with her: Miss Mead and sometimes a guard were accompanying her the whole day. Everything seemed to be normal again like nothing had happened the night before. Like Miss Venable had forgotten about that incident, but that feeling changed during dinner.

The Purples were sitting at the table in silence, impatiently waiting for the unsatisfactorily small nutrition cube. I was standing at the entrance of the dining area, observing the gloomy mood.

"I can't do this anymore. I'm starving day after day", Coco whined and let out a tired sigh.

"At least we're still alive. We should be grateful for the opportunity to live in an Outpost like civilized people and have food. The small cubes aren't optional but at least we have something to eat", Dinah stated and Coco rolled her eyes.

If Dinah only knew...

"Oh please", Coco hissed, visibly annoyed "Stop talking bullshit all the time. I'm so sick and tired of that" Mr. Gallant who was sitting next to her tried to calm her but she didn't seem to care about his attempts.

"I'm just trying to focus on positivity instead of letting me drive crazy and maybe you should try that as well", Dinah calmly countered.

"Nobody needs your positive-vibes shit!", Coco shouted and banged her fist on the table so everyone including me flinched.

As she was about to continue, the loud thud of Miss Venable's cane hitting the floor echoed through the area and everyone's head jolted in her direction as she emerged. "Enough, Miss Vanderbilt.", she snapped but then switched to a calmer tone "Unless you wish to remain hungry tonight." Coco crossed her arms and lowered her gaze, sulking like a little child. The other Purples lowered their gaze as well to avoid unnecessary war with Miss Venable. "That's what I thought", Miss Venable murmured and sauntered to her chair. I took a fleeting glimpse of her dress: She was wearing a black collar dress which covered every inch of her arms and her torso as usual.

As the Grays arrived with the serving cart I got more and more unsettled because I knew I had to serve Miss Venable now. Evading the situation was impossible. Summoning all my courage, I grabbed a plate with a jelly cube along with the other Grays and walked up to Miss Venable, gaze always fixed on the plate. I could swear her eyes were roaming over my body shamelessly. When my arm accidentally touched the sleeve of her dress as I placed the plate in front of her I held my breath. It wasn't only her dark soul and intimidating presence that made me feel so terrified but also her authority and the fact that I knew what she was capable of. I was terrified of her ability to somehow get under my skin, making me feel weak for her touch, making me cross the lines of my nature and making me act submissive.

While everyone was busy eating, I decided to creep to the corridor in the mean time to fetch Miss Venable's freshly washed laundry and to head for her room to light the wood in the fireplace. I was in a hurry, aiming to finish work as soon as possible and to head for my own room before Miss Venable returned so I could avoid her at least for the rest of the night.

Within a few minutes the fire was crackling, illuminating the dark room and Miss Venable's laundry thoroughly folded. I shut the doors of the closet, turned around and winced at the sight of Miss Venable's slim figure standing in the threshold, both hands resting on her cane.