22 | Lost in the illusion

___

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

A/N: Sorry for the bad quality of the pic above

A/N: Sorry for the bad quality of the pic above. Also I finally added a song again (It's not that catchy but I thought the lyrics kinda fit Venable) 🙈

I grabbed the wooden hairbrush and began to gently brush Miss Venable's red hair. Miss Venable was sitting in the black armchair in front of me with both arms on the armrest. She drummed her slim fingers on the leather of the armrest. Her normally pinned up hair was falling loose over her shoulder which gave her a completely different look. She simply looked ravishing. I carefully tucked her hair behind her ear. As Miss Venable's red hair was naturally soft and shiny it felt so good between my fingers...

What a pity she didn't let her hair down more often... But the matriarch probably exactly knew how to present herself and how to act in front of others. The pinned up hair presumably just added the final touch to her authoritative presence.

Having carefully finished the updo I once again eyed the finished hairstyle, her signature, and finally laid the brush aside. Miss Venable slowly arose, simultaneously grabbing her cane and approached the mirror next to the wooden door. I watched her eyeing the hairstyle with a fixed expression in the mirror for a moment. As she was always very picky with the way her hair had to be done I tried to read her expression but her it wouldn't give me any hints.

Miss Venable turned on her heel and her brown eyes met mine. She fixed me for a second with a blank stare, she then began to approach me, making my blood run cold. Had I messed her hair up? Was there something I hadn't done right or that she didn't like?

As she stood in front of me I sheepishly looked up at her. She motioned her hand to my cheek, slightly parting her lips as her gaze fell to my lips and brushed a strand behind my ear. I watched her with a pounding heart as she withdrew her hand again and looked into my eyes, her lips forming to a ghost of a smile.

„Immaculate", Miss Venable breathed, never breaking my gaze.

A fluttery feeling bloomed in my chest at her words and as my cheeks turned pink I lowered my gaze, smiling shyly. „Thank you", I barely audibly answered.

Miss Venable lifted my chin with her free hand which was covered with her black fingerless glove as always and forced me to look her in her brown eyes. „Tell me, would you be a dear and do me a favor?"

"Yes..." Actually there was no choice, we both deep inside knew I'd never decline any of her requests. Miss Venable walked to the closet and pulled out a light purple Victorian dress with long lacy sleeves, the upper part corset-like. It was definitely an eye-catcher with its many extravagant details and ruffles.

"Try it on"

I looked at her for a moment in uncertainty as only Purples were allowed to wear those dresses but as she raised an eyebrow she made her message more than clear. I slipped out of my gray dress and put the purple dress on, feeling Miss Venable's gaze on me. I lifted my gaze to see her eyes glisten mysteriously as she examined me from head to toe. Maybe it just happened in my imagination but it seemed as if her expression had brightened up a bit.