14 | Fear reigns

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

I spun around scanning every inch of the room. - Nothing. I was holding my breath for a few seconds and was listening carefully but the only sound I could hear was the crackling of the fire next to me. A cold shiver ran down my spine.

Weird. I thought I'd heard something...

Having the strange feeling that someone was about to burst into the room at any moment I decided to get rid of the letter immediately. I threw the paper into the fire and stood there for a moment watching the paper curl and turn into a black remain. As soon as I had made sure that I hadn't left any evidences I sneaked back to the main hall where my absence had been remained unnoticed.

***

The tension in my room was unbearable. My heart was racing, my hands were trembling in excitement and my breath went irregularly. Every little sound made me flinch and jolt my head to the door. I tried to compose myself but a mix of anxiety and excitement consistently hit my body. It didn't allow me to sit still for a single second.

How long had I already been waiting for David? One hour? Three hours? Maybe more? What if our plan didn't work? What if David or his friend had been caught? Countless awful scenarios were clouding my vision. With every second that passed my fear grew bigger and bigger.

Just as I was about to stand up, a knock at my door made me flinch but as I saw David who opened the door I sighed in relief and ran to him to give him a tight embrace after he'd closed the door. He softly giggled in surprise but immediately turned stern when I let go of him again.

"We don't have much time, (Y/N). The only thing you have to do after I've opened this door again is to follow me in silence. We are heading for the entrance area. Jack's waiting for us" I quickly nodded in response and he gave me a soft smile. "And don't be scared. I'm with you"

"Okay. Let's do this" I took a deep breath before David opened the door. There was no turning back.

The cold air of the corridor hit me. My eyes scanned every inch of the corridor to make sure it was empty. Every fibre of my body was tense now. I was aware that everything could go wrong at any time and that made my blood run hot and cold in turns. David signaled me to follow him to the next passage.

There was a long barely illuminated corridor ahead of us with two small aisles on each side. That meant no escape once we had entered it. We stood there in silence and listened carefully for footsteps and other noise but it was dead silent. Finally, we started to sneak in the corridor avoiding making any noise. When David suddenly stopped abruptly I nearly bumped into him. He slowly turned to me and signaled me to be silent. That was when I heard what he'd presumably heard: Footsteps. The flickering light of a candle appeared in front of us and I froze. Someone was approaching our corridor from the aisle at the left side. Suddenly silence filled the area again. Neither did I dare to breath nor to move now.

A few seconds of torture passed. The footsteps veered away from our corridor and the light of the candle faded again. We both barely audibly sighed in relief and moved on.

The next obstacle to overcome was the spiral stairway. The metallic stairs cause loud noise if you don't pay close attention. I put off my shoes due to their small heel and descended the cold metal barefooted. The icy cold was boring through my entire body causing me to shiver.

We passed another corridor and finally reached the entrance passage. This was the most difficult part because we could hear footsteps from nearly every direction in the distance yet. How many guards weren't attending Miss Mead's announcement?

"David, hey! Over here" Someone whispered near us. A young blonde man dressed in black stepped forward and signaled us to follow him. That must be Jack.

After having typed in several codes on a small monitor he lead us to a storage room which was full of radiation suits, boots, helmets, guns and other equipment. The sight of the huge amount of various guns was terrifying. Jack handed me a pair of boots. "You should at least take the boots. I doubt you can walk in those shoes outside" I nodded and wanted to tell him how much his help meant to me but he preempted me. "You can thank me later. The most important thing now is to get to the elevator unseen. Oh, David? Don't put the helmet on yet. We'll do that in the elevator"

Jack advised us to move slowly due to the sound of the boots and showed us an aisle to skip the radiation-cleaning room with the guards. Finally, we could see the metallic door of the elevator in the distance. No guards were around, which suddenly gave me pause. The journey until now had gone a bit too well in my opinion.

"What about the guards at the gate outside, Jack?" David whispered behind me.

"Don't worry they'll think we are the ones who will relieve them at their shift", Jack said typing in a combination of numbers in a small monitor next to the elevator. Its huge door slowly opened. The sight of it caused various pictures of my earlier attempt to escape this outpost to cross my mind. Just as David had entered the elevator and I was intending to follow his example Jack grasped my arm with an unexpected force. I turned around and blinked in confusion.

„No you don't"

„What?", I stammered in disbelief and caught a glimpse of David.

„Jack? Cmon we don't have much time. What are you doing?" David became a bit uneasy and wanted to approach him but Jack's next move forced him to freeze immediately. I gasped in shock and widened my eyes when he pointed his gun at my head.

„No one's going anywhere"

„Jack... please put the gun down"

Seeing David's attempt to slowly approach him again he firmly grabbed me and pressed my back against his chest to prevent me from moving. „You stay where you are or I'll run a bullet through her head!" I whimpered in fear when he roughly pressed the gun against my temple.

„Why are you doing this? I thought you were on our side- "

„I just want to claim my reward. Let's be honest, David. We never would have survived if we'd gone outside. I rather prefer having more privileges and power down here instead of ending up dead"

„You're pathetic. Don't tell me you believe all this bullshit they promised you", David spat. „Let (Y/N) go at least. She's already been through enough torture"

Jack let out a low register laugh. „I received my orders. There's no way back. Your plans have been exposed since you once asked me to help you"

David widened his eyes in shock and I started to panic.

„How could you?!" Anger was building inside David. „I can't believe I once called you my friend"

Jack just shrugged. „I really enjoyed your company but your way of thinking is just ridiculous"

When we suddenly heard the echo of footsteps I summoned up all my courage. „Jack, please... Put the gun down. You won't get any privileges or rewards - They are trying to fool you!"

„No one is trying to fool anyone, Miss (Y/N)" Miss Mead's deep voice echoed through the room and Jack forced me to turn around, his gun still resting on my temple. Remaining completely helpless in my position I had to watch several guards storm into the room. They encircled us and pointed with their guns in our direction. My face turned completely pale.

That's it. We're dead.

──── ────