A year later

Kelsey

Through my senior year, Martin and I were inseparable. He attended community college while I finished my senior year in high school. Martin took me to homecoming and prom. He was there for all the crucial moments, which made my love for him to grow.

I turned eighteen and had breast augmentation surgery as part one of my reassignment surgery. The doctor made sure they look the right size for my frame. Martin was more than happy that I had this happen. He's such a guy.

The first two days, I had to rest, then clean the incision and change the dressing. Martin helped me with it. He had a gentle touch as he helped me. I didn't realize how sore I would be after the surgery.

"Are you okay?" Martin asked as he finished helping me with my dressing.

"I'm sore," I sighed as I winced.

He smiled at me. "It'll be okay. The doctor said four weeks," he reminded me.

I looked at him as I nodded. Some transgender people chose reassignment surgery while others elect not to have it. I wanted to be a female in every sense. While I can't bear children, I wanted the experience of being a woman.

My next surgery would be the removal of the penis and testicles where they would create folds in the area creating the look of a female. The surgeon would also create a vagina and clitoris from the penile region. I know it seems like a lot, but I wanted to feel like a woman in every aspect.

"Are you scared about the other surgery?" Martin asked me.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive a little. There's a risk with any surgery," I answered.

"I have to admit I admire you for following through with your decision. You didn't succumb to pressure from anyone to conform to someone you're not," Martin reasoned.

"I don't think anyone should conform to being someone they aren't. While I didn't have the choice being born with the gender I did, I have the choice of which gender I identified," I explained.

"Kelsey, you should be happy with yourself. I'm here because I love you and support your decision," he told me. That made me smile.

Martin supports my decision and me, which is essential. I laid back on pillows as he got up and left the room. I put there thinking about everything. After my next surgery, I was enlisting in the service. We were also getting married. I had a feeling it'll change my world in a way I couldn't even imagine. I drifted off to sleep.

********
Martin

After I finished helping Kelsey, I came down to get her something to eat. I was making a sandwich when Baxter walked into the kitchen.

"How's Kelsey?" He asked me.

"Sore and tired, but she said the doctor said the soreness should be temporary," I answered.

Baxter went to the fridge to grab something as I made sandwiches.

"Baxter, can I ask you a question?" I asked.

He closed the door. "Yeah," he said.

"What made you decide to take care of Kelsey?" I asked him.

"Rose and I have always been close to Kelsey. When her "parents" tried to force her into a gender she didn't identify with and kicked her out; there's no question of not taking care of her. Adults shouldn't force any child into something they're not comfortable with and forced to make an adult decision. They should feel loved and secure," he explained.

"My parents were those type of parents, and when they died, part of my world died with them. They sent me to live with my aunt and uncle who didn't care about me, but money. It wasn't until Kelsey came into my life that I realized kind and caring people existed," I said as he looked at me.

"Martin, Rose, and I had our reservations about Kelsey dating because we didn't want her to get hurt when someone found out about her being transgender. People aren't as understanding as we want them. Some people will love to see another person suffer because they're "different." The reality is, we're all different. There is no one perfect person in the world, and everyone looks different, except identical twins," he said as I chuckled.

"All I want to do is love Kelsey the way she deserves love," I reasoned.

"Love conquers all," Baxter said as I looked at him, confused. "If you want to defeat hate and negativity, then you need love and positivity."

I liked that. It made sense to me. I finished up and carried a tray up to Kelsey's room. I walked in and found her asleep. I set the tray down on the end table next to the bed. I took sat down next to her as she slept.

I looked at her. Even if she hadn't gone through with the surgery, I would have still looked at her as who she is, the girl that I gave a hard time to, but who showed me kindness. She's the one who offered me a home and caused me to open my heart up. Kelsey was the person I fell in love with, and it didn't matter about her gender.

She stirred and opened her eyes. "Martin? What's going on?"

"I brought you something to eat, and I was admiring this amazing person in front of me," I answered. I took her hand into mine. "The same person who I will marry at the end of the summer."

Kelsey smiled, and I smiled back at her. Baxter is correct; love conquers all. It did for us.