Chapter 11 - Sweet Disposition

sweet disposition - the temper trap

"Love is going to ruin you someday, it doesn't matter if you don't believe in love, it doesn't matter if you think that you don't have the capacity to love someone, nothing matters what matter is that one day you will fall in love and fall so hard that it will ruin you to the point that you will not be able to think correctly, to the point that your illness and cure both will be the love of your life, love will ruin you to the point you will look for sanity in insanity."
- Siona Valentine

hero

When we arrived at Mari's almost everyone was already at their seat just outside where we set up the ceremony. I lead Lizzy to our seats in the first row where my aunt gave her a short hug and told her that she looked beautiful. A short man with black hair and a thick mustache was standing at the front, nervously tapping his feet and I came to the conclusion that that's the man that was being wed today, Roberto. Jo had mentioned he was a postman and I realized that I have seen him around a few times, mostly at Mari's.

As the music started I found myself wishing I had paid more attention when we walked to our seats because I didn't see Jo and it made me feel nervous.

What if she didn't show up because of what happened between us?

These thoughts were ripped away from me when Lizzy gently swats my arm and whispers for me turn around. I quickly do just that, mimicking everyone else around me as we wall watch Carla walk down the small aisle to the front, where her soon-to-be husband was waiting. I only knew her in washed out jeans and the typical work shirt we had but today she was wearing a white dress that reached to her tigh with a floral pattern sewn into it. She had her brown curls in a strict bun and a veil was floating behind her.

"She's glowing." Lizzy says beside me and I give her a short nod, glancing over to her for a moment. When I try to focus my eyes back on Carla, who was now almost at the front my eyes got caught on beige material. I didn't even have to look up to know who it belonged to, my heart immediately started to beat the tiniest bit faster when I lifted my gaze a bit more so I could see her face. 

Josephine had her hair in a twisted bun with a few loose strands framing her face. She was sitting but I could tell the dress reached the floor, a beige tulle rock with a floral pattern at the top. For a moment it felt like I had never seen anything more beautiful in my life.

"Fuck." I quietly say to myself and as if she heard it, Jo looked up and our eyes met for a mere second before I quickly turn away, swallowing hard. "You okay?" Lizzy says beside me and I nod shortly, forcing a small smile without looking at her, going on to watch the ceremony in front of us.

The last wedding I went to was one of my fathers business partners when I was 17. It was one of those weddings where everything was perfectly planned and boring with food on your plate as big as a child's fist. I remember vividly that me and my mum just looked at each other as if we're thinking the same thing before grabbing my sister and driving to the nearest Five Guys and eating as much as we could fit in our stomachs. That was one of her good days. My dad was so mad he literally didn't talk to any of us for 3 days.

However, this wedding here is much different. After the ceremony, most of the guests moved inside while others arrived for the party. Me and a few other guys quickly helped to remove all the chairs from the patio so it could be used as a dance floor before I also headed inside, quickly finding Lizzy and my aunt sitting at one of the tables, talking.

"Hey, there you are." Lizzy says as I sit down, beaming at me.

"Yeah, we just got the patio ready for later." I say and she lets out an 'Ahh' sound.