Chapter 8 - Two Hearts

two hearts - marco solo & adaline

"No one really knows what the future will hold. But it's almost always better when you've got a good person to hold."

- Bruce Adler

hero

All I could think about was seeing and talking to her again. It had been merely three days since we last saw each other but it felt like more. My bones felt tense and I couldn't wipe the frown off my face as I looked in the mirror. The more I told myself to be unbothered by her the more she was in my head. Under my skin. Everywhere. She is consuming me and my thoughts were constantly multiplying. It felt like losing control and it is eating away at me, almost making me feel sick. I tear my gaze away from the mirror and turn around to get back to my room to grab the bag I packed. It's already a little past 5 in the evening but the walk down to the beach wasn't long so I didn't rush myself.

"I'm heading off now!" I call out when I walk into the kitchen. My aunts head popped around the corner and she gave me a smile and a thumbs up.

"Be careful! Don't let the bugs bite your toes off!" She says and I roll my eyes, slinging my back over my shoulder and squeezing through the front door, letting it fall closed behind me. It's still light outside and the temperature was pleasant, warm enough to not wear a jacket and not freeze. Me and Lizzy, she told me she preferred I called her that rather than Eliza, texted back and forth all day and she told me she would wait for me by Mari's so we could walk down to the beach together to meet the others.

I could already see her bright ginger hair from afar and she gives me a little wave when she spots me, a bright smile appearing on her face. She had her hair braided on both side and wore a dark green top with a pair of black jeans and she looked really good in it.

"Hey, you." She says when I reach her and I return her smile before grabbing her bag from the floor to carry for her.

"Ready?" I ask and she nods before we start walking.

"I live in California so I'm around a beach all the time but Australian beaches are something else." She swoons as we walk down the hill towards the sand. I could already make out the silhouettes of the others from afar, standing by the little dock with a boat floating on the water.

"Can't relate. The only water I know from London is the one coming from above." I say and Lizzy laughs loudly, kind of caughting me off guard for a second before I chuckle along. I couldn't help but compare the moment to Josephine, the way she never laughed too loudly when I made a joke but rather hid her face with her hands to muffle the sounds.

"Hey!" Wen calls out as he walks towards us and my gaze automatically wanders behind me. I could see Josephine's golden hair shining in the dim sunlight. She's not looking in my direction, her gaze focused on the ground with her lips in a straight line as her cousin was talking to her about something, causing to lightly nod along.

"Hey, Wen." I greet my friend, giving him a short hug and pat on the back.

"That's Lizzy. She's Dani's niece." I introduced the woman beside me.

"Yeah, I know! I immediately recognized you, Liz. Been a while." He says, giving her a friendly hug that she returns.

"Yeah, I know. I'm glad you all are still here." Lizzy says and Wen laughs, nodding.

"Hard to leave this place. Come on, I'm sure you remember Viv and Jo. Maybe not Kit but..." I stop listening as I follow them towards the others further on the dock, watching Lizza give a hug to every one of them. I walk towards the boat to get my backs inside, placing them where the others have already put theirs. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my jeans as I slowly walked over to the others, greeting Kit with a hug and Vivien and Ricky with a nod.