Chapter 12 - Easier

easier - mansionair

"This incredibly independent girl is suddenly craving his attention, his time, his looks, his touch, his smile... him..."

hero

"What happened?" Lizzy suddenly appears beside me as I stare at the door where Jo just left through. I felt so fucking stupid. Of course, she would choose Ricky over me. How long have I been here? A couple of months which meant shit compared to him having his whole life to know her.

"Hey." Lizzy says softly, placing a hand on my shoulder but I shake it off, making my way back inside as if that would change anything. Lizzy calls my name after me and I could tell she was following me but I ignored her as I looked around.

"Hero." Lizzy says again and I whirl around to her, almost causing her to crash into me.

"I'm an idiot, that's what happened." I tell her and her facial features soften as she looks at me before sighing.

"I'm sure there's an explanation. What did he say? I'm sure-"

"Does it matter what he said?" I cut her off.

"Yes, it does. And stop talking to me like that." She snaps back at me, crossing her arms in front of her. I just look at her for a few seconds before sighing and running my hand through my hair.

"I need a cigarette." I breathe out, looking around again.

"Hero." Lizzy says quietly but I just shake my head softly for her to stop talking before turning around and heading for the big door to the back so I could leave out the back. To my luck no one had the same idea as me, the back completely empty of people. I had a pack of cigarette hidden next to the door for y breaks when I worked and I quickly pulled out the pack, along with the lighter before stepping out the open back door.

For a second I remembered what happened the last time I was here with Josephine.

I kissed her and everything got even more complicated from that moment on. I try to shake the thought off, placing a cigarette in my mouth and flicking the lighter on. The flame immediately vanishes and I try another couple of times.

"Fuck!" I exclaimed, throwing the lighter across the ground.

"Need fire?" I turn around, surprised by the voice behind me. In front of me stood a woman with long brown hair, maybe around my aunts' age. The sun was already setting but I could see her blazing blue eyes even in the dim light. I nod and she gives me a smile as I step towards her. She holds up the lighter and flicks it on and I lean forward with the cigarette still in my mouth, feeling a sense of familiar relief as the smoke filled my lungs and the smell hit my nose.

I close my eyes for a second, blowing the smoke out of my mouth up in the sky, begging for the relaxing effect to hit me quicker.

"You're Hero, right? George's sprog?" She says and I open one eye to look at her, taking my cigarette between my middle and index finger, flicking off the ashes onto the ground.

"Yeah. I didn't know he was so known here." I say and she chuckles, lighting a cigarette for herself.

"Yeah, small town, you know." She says and I nod.

"Sorry but, who are you?" I ask her and she smiles.

"I'm Dana. Dana Thompson." She says and I raise both my eyebrows in surprise.

"Oh, you're Jo's mum, right?" I ask and she nods, blowing out smoke through her nose. I hadn't seen her around her before but Jo told me that she's mostly in the nearest city, staying there over the week.