The Great Escape

"Jug? You won't believe the story my mom told me last night

"Jug? You won't believe the story my mom told me last night.", Betty says as we went down the ladder from Dilton's bunker.

"Jug."

"What are you doing?", I asked.

"Betty. Izzy. It's all making sense, all of this is becoming clear. The game, the Gargoyle King, I'm a Level Three, but it's only a matter of time until I ascend And I get to beat him.", Jug said with craziness in his eyes.

****

"So you've confirmed So my dad played G&G in high school, huh? Of course, it makes so much sense.", jug said after we told him everything.

"All of our parents did.", Betty says.

"And they swore each other to secrecy, but, Jug, while they were playing, one of them killed their principal back then, Felix Featherhead, either accidentally or on purpose, but, he had blue lips.", I say looking at him serious.

"Just like Ben and Dilton, which is why all of this has to stop-", Betty says, but was interrupted.

"Betty, the fact that our parents played G&G just corroborates what I've come to believe, that we have been playing this game for a lot longer than we know. And off-board."

"Think about it, the Hot Dog rescue, what was that, if not a quest? The Serpents, the Ghoulies, what are they? If not warring tribes, might as well call us orcs and goblins."

"Okay, you're not making any sense and you're also not listening to anything that I'm saying."

"We have nine suspects that are all real, tangible leads.", I say trying to reason with him.

"One of our parents could be a murderer, so let's go investigate them."

"You're not seeing the big picture. "Eldervair," the realm of Gryphons and Gargoyles is an anagram for Riverdale. The whole game is an analog for Riverdale. The game only exists in Riverdale. That's why we couldn't find it on the web."

"Okay, well, that is a weird coincidence."

"It's not a coincidence, it's all connected. It's all one big narrative that's still being written and played."

"Okay, you need to calm down, Jug. Who's telling you this?", I asked.

"The game, Izzy. The more I play, the more familiar I become with Eldervair and its rules, the more I see the patterns. The more I understand him or her, and how we'll catch the Gargoyle King. This game is their psychology. It's their imagination. It's how they view Riverdale."