Dada

'We need to move now', I hear her say, not that I can see anyway. My eyes feel damp and my head throbs. I need to get out of here. Now.

'Sarah?', she asks with a more softer voice.

I finally look up and manage a weak smile. I feel like bursting into tears. I want to cry and never stop. But someone needs to take control, and I can't let it be her...again.

'Sure Mum', My voice cracks but at least it's coming out at all. I feel like I've forgotten how to speak.

'Come here, You', she smiles, pulling me into a bear hug.

I'm reminded of Sam. I smile sadly as I realize that I miss him.

We stay like that for what seems like forever. Me in her arms. Tears silently creeping out of my eyes. Us breathing softly. Both lost in our pasts that now seems like a different world.

I pull back, wiping my eyes. 'Can we see his house?'.

'Why not?'.

Another smile. I sigh as we carefully walk out of the house. She slams the door shut behind us. I turn to smirk at her.

'Don't you dare', she laughs, looking pretty.

I pout, just for the sake of it. 'Not fair!'.

'Life's not fair babe'.

I shrug, brushing back my hair from my shoulders.

We walk to the house next door. Its garden is neatly trimmed but with no flowers, wild or not. I bit my lips as we walk to the front door, and ring the bell.

I turn towards Mum, my head still throbbing. 'Wait, someone lives here?'.

Mum gives me that look, and I groan.

Of course. Stupid me.

The door opens a moment later, by a middle aged women, wearing a white apron over a navy blue frock.

'Yes?'.

Mum steps forward, sighing as she does so.

'I need to see Martha'.

The women frowns at Mum, maybe trying to recall who she is. Her eyes twinkle suddenly, as if she have just remembered. Without saying a word, she steps back, holding the door open for us, and we step inside.

***

'Martha?', Mum's voice is oddly cold as she studies the old lady who's supposed to be my grandmother. The lady, however, totally ignores her.

Mum steps closer to her, and speaks more loudly. 'We came over. Sarah needs to see David's room'.

Still no response. Rolling her eyes, surprising me, she shrugs and steps back.

'You go, Sarah'. Again that same statement. When I don't move, she sighs again, more loudly. 'Just go okay? I need to talk with Martha, alone'.

I nod, though she's not even looking at me. I walk out of the door and search for a staircase. I have a feeling I'll find his room the way I found Mum's. Their house is simple, with not much furniture. The walls are painted in a pretty cream shade, but there is nothing hanging upon them.

The table in the dining room is made out of wood, a beautiful design, but it doesn't have a table cloth, nor does the three chairs have any cushions.

Eyes studying every inch of the house, I walk to the staircase and climb the stairs up, deep in thoughts, heart still aching. The second floor has two rooms and a narrow hall, with a sofa set placed in it's middle. I walk up to the second door and sigh deeply as I spot his name engraved on it.