Lilly

It was a sunny day. The sun fierce, it's sunlight hot. I had just made our bed, changed Sarah's dress and was now ironing Davids shirt, when the bell rang.

I sighed impatiently, left the iron still on and made for the door. Unfortunately, David got there first. Opening the door wide, he squinted at the visitor standing outside.

Mother. It was Mother.

A strange pain grabbed hold of my heart as I pursed my lips and asked her quietly why she had come, though I knew, deep down, I knew. It was that obvious.

David, on the other hand, blinked several times in surprise and then, gaining control again, invited her inside.

I heard Sarah giggle in the dinning room, where she had been playing with her doll, leaning on big fat cushions that I had put around her, just for safety sake, though she can properly sit now.

'No', I stepped forward, blocking the gateway. 'She can't see my daughter. She can't come into my house'.

I felt David flinch besides me but I ignored him. It hurt every single time I met my Mother. She had ruined so much, I couldn't take risks, not for my daughter. She had to be away from the pain that I had felt every day. She had to be safe, and this women could hurt her, like she had hurt me.

'Please Sarah', she pleaded, her eyes wet with tears. 'Please let me see her, just for one time. I want to see my grandchild. Please'.

I shook my head, though it throbbed all of a sudden. 'Never. Not after everything. Please leave'.

I heard David take a deep breathe. He opened his mouth to say something but Icut him off. 'No David. This is my problem, my daughter. Let me deal with this myself.'

He just stared, then he shook his head. 'She's my daughter too'.

I ignored him, turning towards my Mother again, I made my voice firmer. 'Leave'.

She looked at me, eyes still pleading, but then as her lips trembled, she turned and I shut the door, leaning back on it, hurting all over again.

He just looked. Not saying anything. Then we both heard a sharp noise of something falling and a cry.

'Sarah!'.  I screamed, running to the dining room. There she was, near the stand, the iron lying just a few feet away from her, crying, visibly scared.

I ran to her, scooped her in my arms, my heart beating so fast, it hurt. He quickly picked up the iron, but his finger touched the hot surface and he moaned, dropping it again.

I felt like I could faint from shock. Putting Sarah on the chair when she started crying again, I reached for his hand, but he pulled away.

'I'm fine', she said, through gritted teeth. 'Mind Sarah!'.

She was crying again, loudly. I just shook my head, feeling hopeless. That's how I had become. That's how my Mother made me feel.

He picked up the iron again and slammed it down in it's holder. Picking up his unironed shirt, he reached beside me, grabbed Sarah, and started rocking her, talking in a soft voice, the pain still visible on his face.

I still sit on the floor, in an awkward position, just staring at him. His two fingers that have burned were raw red, and Sarah just wouldn't stop crying.

'David?.' The voice that come out of my mouth was so soft, he barely heard it. I called his name again, but he just pretend he couldn't hear me over the noise of Sarah wailing.

I got up and Grabbed hold of his left arm, half expecting him to pull away. He didn't. He just stopped rocking her, staring at me again with that same intence look.