Chapter one

"Big brother, do you have everything?" My sister Lucille asked me as I was closing my suit. "Yes, of course.  Besides, I will just be across the English Channel; if I need anything, I will come back" I laughed at her worried behavior. "You will do great!" She smiled at me. "For a younger sister, you sure do act like an older one," I laughed, hugging her. "Okay, enough! You have to go now," she laughed, pushing me away. I nodded, grabbing my bags and rolling them by the door. "I will visit this weekend," I smiled, waving her off.

I was a little worried about her staying by herself, but she insisted that I needed to go to university in England. There were terrific opportunities there, and I agreed, but the other side of me worried about her staying alone in France. I was going to attend the University of London, a beautiful campus. I was studying law. How exciting.  The only problem was that I am not good at English. I understood and read it, but I was terrible at speaking the language. I always got words mixed up. But no worries. I plan to take a foreign language course at university that should help me a lot.

~

"Next stop to England leaves in one minute!!!" The train man called as I hurriedly ran to the door. "Wait! I am here," I breathed out, holding my train ticket. That was close; there was terrible traffic. The man let me on board, and I carried my luggage to my compartment. I sat down, relieved, placing my bags next to me. I took out my phone and went over my schedule for classes. Of course, I had to take my basics first, which is a bit annoying but fine.

I know I applied for a co-ed dorm, but I have no information on my roommate; I wonder if I may not have one. Usually, people would get at least a name, but the university is different. If I do have one, hopefully, they are not rude and unorganized. It makes me frustrated seeing a dirty room, especially if I will be staying in that room as well. My phone started to ring, and I answered it quickly.

"Hello?" I asked. "Francis, did you make it on the train Alright?" Luci asked, making me laugh."Yes, I will call you back when I get into London; it should be a few hours long," I said quietly, making her laugh in agreement, hanging up. She is as worried for me as I am for her. It makes me nervous, thinking that she is all by herself and a robber could try and hurt her. I will be hours away from where she is. No!!!! I can not think that way. She will be alright! I believe in her. I laughed at the thought as I sat back against my seat; I should get some rest.

~

"WE HAVE ARRIVED IN FOLKESTONE, UNITED KINGDOM," the announcer called, making me get up quickly to gather my things. I was to go to the airport next, which was not far, so I could fly the rest of the way to London. It was about another hour and a half. I breathed out from the thought. It was about the same time as taking the train, but I had been on a train most of the day and did not want to sit in another.

Once I got off the train, it started to look really misty and cloudy, it might start raining soon, hopefully, my flight is not canceled because of the rain. I hurried inside to call a cab to take me to the airport. This had to be the longest/ shortest trip I have ever taken to London. Maybe it is because I am nervous.

It soon started to rain when the cab pulled up to get me "to the airport," I tried saying in English, but my accent stabbed through it. "What?" The cab driver asked. "Flying place," I gestured with my arms like an airplane. "Ahhh, the airport, sorry about that," the driver laughed nervously as he started the car. Hope to meet some people who know French, but I am sure I will since I am pretty sure France is a second language here in England. I think..... I know many people speak it here, but It is not the official language.

I looked out the window at the heavy rain and wondered if it would always be raining here. The heavy rain did not seem the phase the driver at all, so I am going to assume they are used to the heavy rain they get here all the time. I took out my English book and started sounding out some phrases with my mouth so I could better communicate. "Zank .... you," I tried saying but could not. Practice makes perfect. I should keep working on it.

"Thank you," I tried saying once more, but the man chuckled a bit as I handed him the money for the cab. I hope no one gets annoyed by the lack of spoken English I can do. As time started to pass longer, I began to get worried that people would think I was rude if I tried to avoid conversations in English. I looked at the book in my hand and breathed out sadly as I walked to go to the place I needed to be for the flight to London. I will study the language more on the plane. No worries.

~
"ello, mon name ez, Francis Bonnefoy," I said out loud, making the lady next to me smile hearing my accent. This is so embarrassing. I should have studied this on the train ride, but I was focused on getting sleep. I looked out the window and put my hair in a ponytail. It was still raining outside, but the plane was flying pretty well. They are used to this type of weather. I placed my chin on my hand as I drank some water; London, here I come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading so far❤️
New book!!!