Chapter Nine

"Oh my god, look at the outfit! I really need that, let's go in there!" Leigh-Anne chattered as she walked through town with Jade. She and Leigh were both now standing in front of a boutique shop window, but Jade wasn't quite into it. She hadn't even understood what her best friend had said. Leigh just rolled her eyes at that and pulled Jade into the shop. She was a little worried because Jade was so absent all day. But Leigh tried to not worry too much, maybe Jade was just tired.

"What do you think?" She asked Jade as she held up a yellow shirt with stripes. But like before, she didn't really respond, and only grunted. A sigh escaped Leigh's throat. "Jade!", She now said demanding and pulled her best friend back out of her mind. Jade blushed and Leigh-Anne could see tears forming in her eyes. Immediately Leigh dropped the shirt back on the clothes rack and took care of her friend; She pulled her close and put an arm around her.

"What's wrong with you sweety?", The dark-haired now asked visibly worried. She could see the biting pain in Jade's eyes. She tried to make it disappear with the help of blinking, but it didn't work. She snuggled closer to her friend, needed her comfort.

"Don't know.", Jade mumbled and took a deep breath after swallowing. "I just think things between me and Harry aren't going well at the moment.", she murmured with a throbbing heart. It was had to say these words out loud and it cost Jade an immense amount of effort. For years, their relationship had been perfect, no fights, just love and happiness. Jade never thought it would turn out that way. Her hands began to shake.

"Oh, sweetie, why do you think that?" Leigh pulled Jade into a warm and secure hug, but her arms weren't Harry's. Immediately, Jade was enveloped in Leigh's scent of flower and the warmth of her body. Jade was thankful that Leigh was always comforting her and there for her. Her embrace gave Jade comfort, but not the reassurance that she got from Harry's arms. She couldn't help the tear that ran down her cheek suddenly. An employee of the store approached them and asked if everything was okay. Embarrassed, Jade broke away from Leigh and wiped her wet eyes.

"I'm alright." Jade's lips formed the words, but her heart felt different. She forced a smile so the employee could leave. However, the employee asked again to be sure and Jade almost started to cry again, but she pulled herself together. She left the store as fast as possible with Leigh.

They walked in silence, Jade felt uncomfortable. She had acted like a fool and she hated herself for freaking out like that. Without a word, both knew that the day was over. So they went back to their apartment, but before they reached it, Leigh-Ann's words finally cut through the crushing silence. "Honestly Jade, is everything okay with you?"

Leigh looked into Jade's face, hoping to meet the sparkle in her eyes. But the only thing she could find there was the foggy tiredness. Jade sighed deeply, looking down at the floor.

"I'll tell you when we get home.", Jade muttered, hurrying as fast as possible to get in, as she was freezing. Leigh followed her quick steps. And as Jade unlocked the front door, she was greeted by the familiar scent and warmth. Jade was immediately enveloped by the heat and threw herself on the couch and closed her exhausted eyes.

"I'll make tea, okay?" Leigh-Anne told her friend, who only nodded. After a few minutes, she sat down with Jade on the couch. They then put a blanket over their laps and sipped their tea.

"Mh, green vanilla tea is just my life saver.", Mumbled Jade and made Leigh laugh. "No, there are better varieties." Jade opened her eyes wide and put her tea on the coffee table. "You did not just say that!", She said outraged and had to hold back a grin. Leigh chuckled, glad to see Jade laugh. It warmed her heart. She just hoped that Jade would soon find the sparkle in her eyes again. After the two fooled around for some time, they became quiet again.

Leigh's head was lying on Jade's shoulder. "Harry and I are arguing more and more lately," Jade mumbled into the silence. Leigh-Anne lifted her head to see Jade from the side. She was biting her lip, tapping her fingers over the almost empty mug. Leigh said nothing, she knew that Jade wasn't finished with speaking and gave her the time she needed.

"I don't know why it happened so suddenly, we never argued before." Jade's eyes filled with tears and she looked into her teacup. Leigh-Anne put her mug down on the table and then put an arm around Jade's shoulder and pulled her closer. "Is that normal?" Jade asked, looking up at the Leigh. This sight of her best friend broke her heart. She looked so anxious, downcast and lonely. Pain and exhaustion was written all over her face. Her expression had fallen together. The lines of her laugh seemed to have disappeared. Leigh smiled sadly.

"I think every couple goes through this time, but I know how strong you two are, you can do it, Jade. Don't worry so much, maybe you both should just talk it all out. It's going to be alright."

Jade closed her eyes, trying to ignore her painfully throbbing heart. She blinked away the tears. "Thanks, Leigh," Jade whispered hoarsely. When she had finished her tea and the blue mug was on the table, Leigh hugged her friend tightly. And as they slowly broke out of the hug, Leigh grinned broadly.

"Now let it all go for a moment, let's have a great evening!", Leigh-Anne suggested loud and happy and Jade had to giggle. She loved that so much about her friend; she could always make her happy and distract her with the craziest things.

Leigh-Anne jumped up from the couch and plugged her phone into the speakers, clicked on the Spotify-App and clicked on her playlist called "Girl's Party". Jade laughed at her friend when a song from Rihanna started to play. Then Leigh moved to the couch dancing to Jade while "Rude Boy" was playing. Jade couldn't keep herself from laughing and when Leigh sat down on the couch, she pulled Jade up with her. And then they danced without any worries, just moving their bodies to the music. But at some point Jade had to laugh so hard that her knees dropped on the couch and she pulled Leigh-Anne with her. However, the two couldn't keep their balance and they fell with a dull noise to the floor. Leigh landed on Jade and when luckily no one was really hurt and they had calmed down from the shock, they started laughing loudly again.