Just Normal Days And One Goodbye

A few days had passed, Lottie had been on runs with the others and everything was running smoothly.

Shane had continued to avoid Lottie, mainly due to the fact that she went everywhere with Daryl and so Shane wouldn't even dare get close to her.

Daryl and Lottie hadn't spoken any further on their 'situation' since the night around the fire. They continued to sleep next to each other however, and Daryl had leant Lottie a black long-sleeved shirt that she wore most days.

One morning after breakfast, sat around the fire, Lottie helped Carol and Lori with preparation of food for lunch.

"So, wearing his clothes are you?" Lori smiled.

"He leant it to me." Lottie replied trying to hide her grin.

"What's going on between you two? We've all noticed how close you became after you came back from the first run." Carol asked, smiling too.

"Well um, we had a little cuddle I guess but other than that nothings really gone further." Lottie said quietly.

Carol continued to cut up some carrots into a small bowl while Lori started peeling the potatoes and washing them in a bucket of water.

"You're not together then?" Lori said.

"Well, I don't know." Lottie admitted

Carol looked around at Lottie, shocked "How would you not know?"

"Well we've not spoken about that, at all." Lottie replied a little sad.

"Maybe you should, you never know what can happen." Lori said looking away slightly, thinking about when Rick had gone into a coma before the apocalypse.

Lottie agreed, but for now, the bowls needed washing.

In the evening. That evening. That dreaded evening. It was cold, the grass was damp and the air was heavy, sadness lingered but no one could tell where it lay. Until just before dinner, when Carol was looking for Dale.

A blood-curdling scream rang out from the field to the left of the barn. Everyone appeared from their tents, the house and their chairs. Staring out into the darkness as the scream rang out again.

It sent everyone with guns hurtling down towards the source of the sound. Daryl and Rick at the front, frantically looking around them. Until the grass cleared slightly at the edge of the forest and what lay before them, horrified them beyond words.

Lottie froze with shock as she watched a boney, decaying walker lean over Dale. It chewed and ripped apart his stomach, blood and guts pouring out of him as he shook and twitched.

Dale lay paralysed, his face pale, gasping for breath, reaching his arm towards everyone. No longer able to scream, just gasping. Lori forced Carl to stand behind her so he couldn't see.

Everyone stood in complete silence, unwillingly listening to the sound of the walking eating. Beth and Maggie cried silently, Lottie stood close to Daryl, and Rick sheltered Lori and Carl. The others just watched in horror and disbelief. They had to watch the kindest man, the father of the group be taken away from them in front of their very eyes.

Daryl stepped forward hesitantly, passed Rick who was in shock, tears welling up in his eyes. He pulled out his gun and pointed it at Dale's forehead. Dale looked desperately into Daryl's eyes.

"I'm sorry brother." Daryl said quietly.

Bang.