Regret

While in complete silence, Lottie and Daryl organised their bags in their cell in preparation for the fight ahead.

Lottie was about to fight the man who saved her life, and Daryl was about to fight his own brother.

"This will mean war, Daryl." Lottie said quietly.

"I know."

"And Merle's there!" She whispered, beginning a panic.

"I know."

"But he saved my l-"

Daryl simply turned on the spot and pulled a teary Lottie into a tight hug.

"I know." He whispered back.

Lottie always felt guilty for every time someone risked everything to save her, especially when she couldn't return their kindness. The idea of having to fight him tortured her.

"Is this all my fault?" She cried into his shirt.

"Of course it isn't," a voice from behind her said. "It's the Governor's fault."

Rick appeared from the dusty sunlight into their cell.

"What if Merle was sent to get me back and ended up having to take Maggie and Glenn, they could be hurt or worse!" She ranted to Rick.

"It could have been anyone! We're gunna get them back and it's going to be okay." Rick tried to calm her.

Daryl was silent.

"No one blames you Lottie." Hershel said, Beth by his side.

"I'm sorry." Lottie said.

Judith started crying from somewhere and Beth ran off to tend to her. Hershel smiled at Rick and followed behind.

"Get ready, we've got a long day ahead of us." Rick sighed and wondered away.

Daryl and Lottie stood in an awkward silence, both just wanting a hole to swallow them up.

Lottie felt responsible for Maggie and Glenn's kidnap, if she hadn't returned then it probably wouldn't have happened. She felt guilty for Beth and Hershel, and terrified that something had happened or that Maggie and Glenn would now distrust or hate her. Michonne had already given Lottie her fair share of dirty looks since they were all in the courtyard.

Daryl had tried his best to keep Lottie from seeing the distrust from the others but nothing had worked. He was afraid she'd want to leave again, he felt guilty for not leaving to find her when she'd gone missing.

There was a lot of regret in the air. A lot of pain too. The kidnapping had snapped a lot of people back into reality, with them living in safety for so long they often forgot about the dangers of the world. As if there weren't dead people walking around.

Lottie kept packing, Daryl had finished but rummaged around. They were both trying to procrastinate.

"When everyone's ready come down here!" Rick shouted to the cells.

"I guess it's time." Daryl said. Lottie nodded.

They both made their way down to the main room where everyone had bags and guns placed on the large table. They all turned to look at the pair, Michonne snapped at the sight of Lottie.

"Why is she coming?" She said walking up to Lottie's face.

Daryl placed an arm around Lottie. "She's more a member of this group than you are sunshine, back off!"

"I care about Maggie and Glenn just as much as anyone else here." Lottie said trying to stay calm. "I've been kept captive in there, I know where they might be."

"You have no idea what he's capable of." Michonne shouted at her.

Lottie just walked slowly at Michonne, until they were almost nose to nose. The rest of the group watched anxiously.

"I know about that, more than you care to believe." She turned to reveal the yellowing mark where the bruise across her face had been.

Michonne looked up confused at Rick and then Daryl.

"That Governor you know so much about, wanted information on us." Daryl said calmly. "She wouldn't give it to him."

"I-I didn't realise, I'm sorry." Michonne backed away.

"For the last time. Back. Off." Daryl said standing in between the two women.