Chapter 1: Chaos

Vegas.

That was the name of the club that stood in the middle of the city of Los Angeles. For some reason, the owner of the club wasn't usually seen besides nighttime. Yet here I was, standing and gawking at the sign of a brightly coloured lights that screamed out Vegas. I mentally chuckled to myself, 'Who would name their club Vegas?' Besides, it's the biggest exotic yet sophisticated club in LA with seducing colours and interiors that attracted more crowds than it should.

Since my friend had invited me here for her birthday, I had no choice but to accept as clubbing was not really my thing but I insisted for her. Well honestly, I don't mind as long as I'm with my bestie, I'm all good.

As I went inside, the crowd was heavy with the smell of alcohol and smoke, with people moving to the sound of the beats blaring out the speakers. I struggled my way through the dark and the crowds dancing and wiggling making me shake my head, finding my best friend in a sapphire blue dress with a drink in her hand at the bar table.

"Well, well, if it isn't our innocent little Maeve?" Clarissa, my best friend, teased.

"Who wouldn't say no to their best friend, right?" I laughed nervously, looking around in the dark yet the led lights were moving around quite a lot.

Then Clarissa giggled as she holds up a drink, offering one to me, "It would help if you just relax and drink something, alright?"

I looked at her a little reluctantly before taking the drink from her hand, "If you say so."

Then after taking a sip of margarita, I could practically feel the music getting louder each second making my head spin, "My god.."

Clarissa giggled as she saw my reaction when she helped me to the seat at the booth, "Oh please, you only took what? A sip?"

I rolled my eyes playfully hearing her when I looked around again as my sight tried to focus in the dark making it a little difficult to see as I sit with my best friend enjoying ourselves for the night. When the music died down, I was rather confused and turned to Clarissa, "What's going on?"

Clarissa chuckled shortly looking at me, "I supposed that's the cue of the owner coming in his club."

All heads turned to the door of the club wondering about the incoming guest. Then the crowds fell silent as they eyed a well-dressed, man waltzing into the club as he owned the place, unfortunately, the crowds blocked my view from seeing the man himself.

I turned to my best friend and asked, "Have you even met the guy?"

She only smiled dreamily as she looked at me, "Well, we did.. had a one night stand."

I shake my head, a bit disgusted, "Okay, I do not want the deets."

We both laughed at the thought then ordered more drinks when I get my gift for her from my purse, "This isn't much, but I did what I could."

She marvelled at the gift I bought for her, being a beautiful rose pendant that glimmers in the dark then smiled lovingly at the gift.

But that night had other plans.

Some idiots barged into the club with their loaded guns making us panicked and we both hid under the table, not wanting to be seen by the gunmen. I looked at Clarissa, seeing her more panicked than I am when I calmed her by holding her hand as we stayed underneath.

I could hear screaming and shouting among the crowd as they get down to their knees at their mercy alarmed at the current state of the club, panic stretched across their faces but also in fear.

The owner of the club only chuckled darkly, staring at the gunmen at the entrance, "You all had the courage to get in here, but I'm afraid you won't be running out of that door anytime soon."

The gunmen stood, unafraid, "And what are you going to do about it? You're outnumbered."

The owner only laughed coldly staring at them only, "We will see about that."

Then a fight started between him and the gunmen while I sat under the table unable to see what was happening when Clarissa and I decided on an escape plan. As minutes passed, I crawled out from the table slowly to the emergency door watching the man and the gunmen still fighting, as I had the chance to escape in time.

Unfortunately, one of the gunmen had spotted me and as quick as lightning, he grabbed onto my hair and pulled me up securing me in a headlock then stared at the man, "Oops, looks like I caught this rabbit trying to leave."

The man of the club turned his head to me and our eyes locked briefly, but I couldn't mistake there was a little spark in his eyes that showed fear and somehow, protectiveness. It felt like the time stopped just for a brief moment as we stared. In a few seconds flash, the gunmen were all down unconscious and the man holding me in his arms making me anxious a little and at that time, I decided to pass out. Great.