Chapter 36

I ignored the beeping from downstairs, signalling that the lasagne was ready and laid on my bed in confusion. What can I do to help my mom that won't risk Thomas finding out? How can I at the same time stop Thomas and protect my parents?

There was a thump from outside my window and I quickly snapped my head up to see what it was. Something was stuck to it and I immediately got up to see what it was.

A black rope dangled off of the window and as I opened the window to see what it was, a figure jumped inside and tackled me to the floor. I wanted to let out a scream but I couldn't. A hand was over my mouth, muffling my cries of help.

"It's me Aurora. Stop screaming!  They will hear you!"

I opened my eyes and couldn't even believe them. Above me was Thomas Haddon after five and a half months of being MIA. A stubble had grown but his hair was freshly trimmed.

"Wh-T-But-I" I stuttered. So many words needed to come out of me that I just couldn't get one out properly.

Rather than being afraid of him after what Luca told me, I somehow felt so happy to see him for one good moment.

"Has he held you against your will?" He questioned, his voice in a low hush.

"No bu-"

Hands still slamming mine to the floor, he watched me closely, "Did he tell you that I'm trying to harm people?"

"YES! And-" I had to tell him that It didn't matter because I was here to help him. Save him. But he just wouldn't let me.

"No, do you believe that?"

I hesitated. What did I believe?
"Yes...No! I don't know! Is it true?"

He exhaled, closing his eyes, "No. Of course it's not. Can't you see? He's trying to turn you against me for his own use. So he can bring me down from building a supernaturally talented book club. He is one of the reasons I had to leave."

"Thom-"

"Look, it's okay if you aren't ready to accept the supernatural exist but I promise you if you let me- I'll tell you everything you need to know. Please. We can talk about this if you come with me."

I frustratingly blurted out, "LISTEN TO ME FOR GODS SAKE you IDIOT!"

He hushed me , nervously looking at the door.

"You left me! You left me confused and alone. No one believed me and I had to suffer alone until I met people who actually wanted to help me. It's no surprise I'm a mess trying to believe you."

"Aurora, I don't have time for this. I said I'll explain if you please just come with me quickly."
He begged, eyes filled with tears.

I felt constricted when I tried to dig out his lies. Like I was being locked out of his head. His breaths were heavy and I had to use my instincts only to believe him. But he was my soulmate- I had to believe him just because I knew him too long not to.

I had to decide and fast.

"AURORA! YOUR LASAGNE IS BURNING AND IM HUNGRY AND IM NOT ORDERING IF IT BURNS." Yelled a high pitched voice from downstairs.

My heart was beating so loud, I wandered if Thomas could hear it.

He got up hurriedly and held a hand out to me to take, "Take it or leave it."

But he left me. Now he wanted me to follow him? But maybe I could help him.

Footsteps resounded down the corridor and I stared for seconds at his hand with deep consideration.