Chapter 6

Valentine's day. The one of the few days of the school year that I was actually excited for. Not because I was desperately hoping for someone would be my valentine or to have boys giving me flowers. Though receiving free candy won't really be a bad thing though. But more importantly, it's how over dramatic things can be and how easy it gets out of hand that puts a smile on my little sadistic face. Some of you can't really blame me, I love a bit of drama and they never end to amuse me.

Though at some point it gets really infuriating to see how so many girls struggle so hard to get a boy's attention. Some of us simpletons would like it if you don't broadcast your hormone-infused brain cells about how so and so might or might not ask you to be their valentine. It's not as if, you are the only one who has that anxiety, you and probably 96% of the female sector of our age-group can relate really well. The remaining 4% either already have a boyfriend or closeted homosexual or just single. 

The guys aren't any better themselves. They would "discreetly" lower their shorts, threatening to show off some cartoon character printed on some bright coloured boxers. Or worse, their teeny weeny underwear.No one wants to see batman or superman or Ben 10 on your underwear. If anyone wants to see them, they just go home and watch them on TV. Or for some guys who think that's not good enough for them, would try to show off either the above stated and a sneak peak of a butt line, you know to tease the "ladies" a bit to top it all off. All this in the name of being cool and manly. 

Oh please! These are the the same boys who can't even afford a pencil. A pencil! And ya'll wanna call that manly. They probably saw that on TV and thought it would be cool to copy that.  Unless people had miraculously either matured or high of their ass,which the latter is more likely, if by karma, those shorts  would ever fall, everyone would combine laughing at you face and be disgusted at the sheer sight of what was underneath the charcoal grey shorts. And we'll see if all those TV shows would save you then. 

In addition, they would show off their skinny arms with zero muscles or try to jell their sprouts of hair shooting out of their otherwise smooth hairless scalp. Which really doesn't make it any better for them. Instead of the granules of of hair being sleeked back, their appear to be a more cacti look with a smear of vaseline as the icing of the cake. You can literally spot a boy a metre away just because of his rather shiny helmet reflecting the sunlight.    

For the few who would bother wondering what I would be doing during such festivities, I was occupied with the responsibility of fulfilling my duties as a messenger, basically I was the Whatsapp for the occasion. And unfortunately I wasn't going to get paid for it or at least get appreciated with at least a chocolate bar. But it does have its perks though. I  get to have my careless hands on the latest scoop from around my class.

But honestly what would have thought of such a large number of hormone-enhanced teens would trust someone as unclassified as cool as me. Maybe it's because they know that I wouldn't tell anyone and I'm such a trustworthy person. Or maybe I just don't have anyone to gossip with. But either way, it didn't really matter. It's not that I'm not socially likable person amongst my peers and was a source of a good laugh if the audience fancy making fun of the outsiders of the "hierarchy".

Anyways, to top things off with the whole valentines day thing, everyone would try to pull off the ultimate valentines gift or at least get a gift at the very least. It was a big deal when either someone brings a gift or you receive a gift from someone and if you don't, you would feel left out since everyone else would be in the spirit of valentine's day. Well I had always had a solution for that and it works for every year. No, not to bribe someone to be your valentine. Just be your own valentine. It may some somewhat desperate and kind of pathetic but it definitely brings results. You get to spoil yourselves without worrying if the other person would like it or not or even get your gift rejected.

And let's not forget the corny jokes and cringy pick up lines collected from telenovelas, sappy romance novel and equally if not sappier movies. Or guys would try to act all bad-ass from all the action animations they would watch but not dare tell anyone in school in case they would be called out to be childish. It would normally be sad when you a guy approaches a girl and just say something along the lines of, "Are you from Tennessee, because you're the only TEN I SEE," then throws you a wink as if that was the coolest thing that has ever been spit out of his mouth. And to make worse the girl would act like it's the most romantic thing ever. Like seriously, was it some kind of joke. If I was the girl I would most definitely laugh at that guy's face and tell him to try better. You know, now I'm starting to see why no guy would dare approach me.    

Like there was this one time my friends were asking each other who was their valentine or who they wish was their valentine and when it was my turn to answer, I told them I was my own valentine. Obviously they laughed at me, saying I'm too lonely to get a boyfriend or something of the sorts. But they weren't the same thing when I bought for myself a box of chocolates for valentines day while they were busy sulking over them not having a valentine. Pfft! Losers! Who told you to be waiting for some boy to be your valentine.