14 - Three days

The only thing that could prevent Nuffink from thinking about Drakanheim was helping out Gobber at the forge. The black smith didn't complain for the help and gave him a few tasks to complete, especially fixing shields – which took longer than just sharp swords or garden tools.

The forge was silent despite Braan's presence, if Gobber didn't understand why he didn't play the bard again, Nuffink knew it was because his friend was still toughtful and shaken by his plan.

Gobber didn't know what work he could give him, what he could do with his twig-like arms – well, arm considering he was still wearing the sling. The boy simply sat in the corner of the workshop, only keeping company to his friend even if he didn't talk.

After several hours of silent working, Nuffink got an idea and change the rythm he was hitting the metal nails on the shield he was working on. If he hadn't several notes like Braan had when he collected the metal waste, he still created a musical rythm. He tried with difficulty to reproduce the same song Braan made that day, said day seemed a forever ago.

The chesnut boy recognize the song, understanding the wink his friend was making to him. Like the previous time, Gobber appreciated the animation and starting singing and dancing. His voice wasn't correct compared to the notes, but it was still funny. Nuffink smiled when he noticed his friend was smiling too, the first smile he gave since their return from Drakanheim. Then the brown-eyed boy picked up a basket and slammed his valid hand on it, addind percussions to the song and laughters to the singing.

The forge became noisy and lively again, attracting once again passing by vikings to watch the improvised bards, applause, dancing upon the musique, laugh with them. Strangely, Nuffink felt like the good mood was even more there than the previous times, it looked almost like someone threw a party at the forge. It was so joyful, and he couldn't have wished for a better way to end his day.

Yet, the gods had other ideas in mind for Braan and him.

After a tasty diner at the forge with Gobber, both boys headed back to the Haddock's house. Until there everything was fine. In the living-room, they met Astrid and Hiccup who asked them if they had eaten, then wished them good night. Until there everything was fine. They went upstairs and entered Nuffink's room... and that was where everything went wrong.

Zephyr was there, sat at her brother's desk, his two last notebooks opened wide, revealing inside... the drawings he made of the dragons. His big sister's angry glare was a bad omen for Nuffink, saying he was in troubles.

''Well well well...'' She said. ''Look who decided to show up.''

''Ta-ta-da we're dead...'' Nuffink thought to himself, silently hoping Braan could read his mind.

Both boys walked a few cautious steps towards her while she lifted from the chair, looking down at them, her piercing blue eyes analyzing them intently, especially Nuffink. He gave her a nervous smile, not knowing what to say.

Okay, she saw the drawings of dragons, but did she understood ? Was she suspecting something ? Was she still oblivious and just wanted to scold him for his 'fantasies' ? He didn't know, and he couldn't read her glare. He didn't find any sign allowing him to guess what would be her reaction.

And when she finally reacted, he wasn't ready to answer anything.

''Dragons, huh ?'' She told him.

Silence remains for a couple seconds before she sent her fist in his arms, startling him.

''Ow ! Do you really have to do this ?''

''That's for lying to me.'' She groweld. ''And that...''

Another punch in the other arm, as strong as the first one, cut off any reply and complain he could have said, while she was growling the end of her sentence.