13 - Drakanheim, part 2

'Being apprehensive' was not strong enough to describe how Nuffink felt about traveling to Drakanheim. He was looking forward to it, but at the same time he was really afraid. He didn't know what they would find there, so he couldn't prepare himself for it.

He was holding the saddle's handles with all his might. Never before did he had fly so far, nor did he left his native island. He knew his parents took him to Drakanheim when he was younger, but he couldn't remember, only knowing they did not enter.

It was the first time he was going to see the hidden world with his own eyes, yet the danger threatening there made him anxious. He knew he could trust Snow and Day to protect them, Braan and him, yet he was still worried. If these shadows were that many, this journey might be his last one.

There were chances he wouldn't make it back home, chances he wouldn't see his family again. He wished he could have talked to them before leaving, telling them he loved them, but back then he didn't know yet he would leave.

This mission was supposed to be only recognition, so they could evaluate the danger, the number of their ennemies and what they could use to fight them there, yet the young viking feared this travel as if what waited for them there was a fight to death.

He tried to stay positive, but it was easier said than done. It took them a bit more than four hours to reach the entry of this other world.

Nuffink couldn't believe his sight when the fog dissipated to reveal the gigantic waterfalls. It really looked like there was a hole in the middle of the ocean, where water was being engulfed. In the middle of all this hubbub of slaphing and crashing water, Nuffink barely noticed Braan's yel, the boy was making him signs, pointing below.

Nuffink didn't need to catch his words to understand what he meant : they were going down. He nodded in reply, then Snow was the first to dive, immediatly followed by Day. Nuffink tightened his grip on the handles as if it was his life, holding back a scream the speed of their dive wanted to take away from him.

The two white dragons went through one of the waterfalls and found themselves in complete darkness. They kept on flying straight ahead for a little while before the first lights of the hidden world revealed themselves. Nuffink was agaped by such a view. Lights of every colours covered gigantic pillars that looked like corals, same lights were glowing on the dragons' scales.

Patterns of swirling purple-blue spirals showed on Day's skin, while there were cristallized blue fractals on Snow's.

In this thousands-and-one colours gargantuan cave, Nuffink discovered the fascinating and breath-taking Draknaheim. Numerous stone pillars raised from water to the cave ceiling, covered in dried and glowing aquatic plants, and served as playground for numerous dragons.

Countless species high in colors were freely flying all around them, as shoal of fishes swirlings in the depth of sea. Nuffink couldn't believe his eyes, seeing so many dragons at the same time left him agaped. He lost his eyes in this breath-taking show, not paying attention anymore for the path Snow and Day were following.

Strangely, everything seemed calm there. This finding finally ceized his amazment and brought him back to the situation at hand. He focused back on their mission, and looked back in front of him.

Day was slightly behind the four-winged dragon who was leading them.

''Hey Braan !'' Nuffink called out even if he doubted his voice could reach his friend. ''Where are we going, exactly ?''

''Deep. Shado-''

He was cut off in the middle of his sentence when they suddenly met a group of dragons they crossed against the current. Snow and Day started and began a series of dodges. Nuffink held on the saddle and tried to follow Day's movements, leaving their travel to his reptilian reflexes.