10 - Binding

The following day, another lesson took place at the center place of the village. Dragon of the day was the deadly nadder, yet Nuffink couldn't help but ask questions about the night fury. Since he didn't seem to drop the subject no matter how many times the teacher would go back to deadly nadder, he gave up and changed class subject. After all he was there to teach them about dragons, all dragons, no matter in which order.

Nuffink wanted details about the different species of furies. He recalled his father told him about Light, even if the chief didn't call her that way. Fishlegs explained Toothless was the last known night fury and that his mate, a light-fury, was actually from a relative specie.

Unlike night furies, light furies weren't extinct but since they all lived in Drakanheim in the first place, they were never seen before. Then Nuffink finally asked the real question that was nagging his mind : how would vikings name the offspring of these two species ? Without the young viking noticing, a mocking smile crept on Braan's face when he asked the question.

''And if the two species were to have hatchlings, like Toothless and his mate, how would they be called ?''

''Well...'' Fishlegs didn't have an answer yet, but he was always pleased to be asked tricky questions that needed thinking and were showing his students were really interested. It wasn't the first time Nuffink would do this, hence he was one of Fishlegs' favorite students.

Plus he had to admits he never thought about that before. He remembered his friend Hiccup telling him about a visit to Drakanheim, the first time he found Toothless again and saw his family. The light fury and him did had babies, but noone thought about naming them.

''Huh... I suppose we could call them nightlights ?'' He finally said, shurgging.

''Wow.'' Zephyr approved. ''Nice name.''

Nuffink agreed with her and sat down again, finally letting Fishlegs resume his lesson. The young viking disturbed it that much the teacher decided to keep on going about night furies, reporting deadly nadder for another time.

When Nuffink got settled back next to Braan, he noticed the insisting glance and the one-sided smile, so he asked him – rather growled at him – what was amusing him.

''Nothing.'' The boy faked with a smirk. ''You ask for Day, heh ?''

''No, I was curious, that's all.''

He straightened proudly but this didn't erase the chestnut boy's smile. Despite resisting, Nuffink smiled too, even if he rolled his eyes trying to hide it.

After the class, and after a good lunch, the boys decided to go visit the dragons at the Stairs. Neither thought their constant round-trip into the woods would raise suspicions around them, yet it was the case. Zephyr watched them disappearing in the trees, curious and a bit upset. She wondered what they were doing there.

She got even more suspicious when she spotted her brother a few minutes later, going back into the forest while dragging a heavy basket. She felt the urge to follow him but was distracted when one of her friends called out for her. By the time she turned her gaze towards the trees again, her brother was nowhere to be seen. She gave up following him, but her suspicions remained.

The young blond-haired viking walked through the woods, dragging and trying to carry the heavy, fish-fulled basket. It took him some time to reach the Stairs, but surprisingly less than he thought. Was this dayly exercice making him gain some muscles ?

When he finally arrived at the Stairs, he glanced around him and got a glimpse of the exact dragon he was searching for. Day was quietly lying on the grass and popped up his head when he heard the footsteps.