11 - Into the sky

A new day began on the island of Berk, but it wasn't going to look like the others for Nuffink and Braan. Indeed, the boys decided to change their routine. There was no dragon lesson, allowing the boys to spend their entire day outside the village, away from all questions and disturbances, just the both of them and the dragons.

Once again, they were in the sky, far away from the Stairs and even farther from the viking village. Light was reluctant to let Day, but she finally let Day leave without the rest of the family. It was only thanks to Braan's negociations, and also the fact he spoke dragon langage, that convinced her.

So there were two white dragons floating above the ocean, north-west from the island. It was the best flying field according to Braan, northwind was smooth and there were less obstacles there.

Nuffink was starting to master flying on a dragon's back, but he still had the same problem as all the other times.

''No forget,'' Braan told him, ''you no fly on dragon, you fly with. You try control him, him no like it.''

''Yeah, I wouldn't like it either.'' The viking admitted.

''You trust him, him no want crash or ram into things either.''

Day approved by a low growl, shaking his head in the process. Nuffink stroke the side of his neck, then took a deep breath.

''Okay, I'll try hard.''

He tightened his grip on the saddle's handles and prepared himself to not use them to direct the dragon.

Said dragon was flying straight with cruising pace, just below the light clouds. Even if he didn't control anything and still had the fear to fall, Nuffink really like to fly. Feeling the wind on his face and playing with his hair, the floating sensation and this feeling of being so high nobody could reach him... it was so amazing. Plus sharing this moment with his friend made it even more special.

So far the fly was quiet, until the moment Snow suddenly cut the road of the nightlight and dove below. Nuffink wanted to scold them, convinced it was Braan's idea, but Day thought otherwise and playfully pursued them, doving at an incredible speed.

Nuffink held on the handles for dear life while emptying his lungs with a loud scream, while the dragons chased each other at the sea level, zigzaging between the rare reefs.

Eventually, Day slowed down and climbed again. Snow followed him, transporting Braan's laugh all along.

''Yeah !'' Nuffink yelled in his renewed delight. ''Go on, buddy !''

It was his turn to laugh and feel the joy come back into his frame, then Snow came closer, allowing the boys to speak to each other even if they had to yell so they could see each other.

''So ?'' Braan asked.

''It's so fantastic !''

Day le tout his tongue, instantly caught on the wind and letting a small drool escaping his mouth. Without a warning, he made a spin that shook Nuffink's guts. Desite the slight dizzying feeling, the viking laughed again.

Then something brushed against them, it passed so fast the air almost knocked out the viking from the saddle. Only a quick reflex from the dragon saved them from the collision. The thing moved so fast Nuffink didn't have the time to see anything else, only a dark blur. He looked around them and spotted a dark mass. It was to far to see what it was exactly, but the viking remained curious.

''Wow, what was that ?'' He asked.

He couldn't see it in details, so he tried to search in his memory. The dark frame was obviously too big to be a bird, and too fast too. Was it a dragon ? He turned to Braan and was about to ask him, but another black blur passed by. This time, it didn't just brushed against them, it crashed right into Snow. The impact was so strong and violent Braan almost fell, he managed to hold onto one of his mother's horns while she lost her balance and began to fall.