08 - A new world

Braan was very surprised by what he had just learnt about the viking in front of him. Yes, he could understand dragon's speaking, but it was so natural for him he thought it was Nuffink's case too.

''No-wings no understand.'' Snow told him. ''Only initiated do, but rare present only given to chosen.''

''Oh...'' The boy understood.

''What did she just say ?'' Nuffink asked, still agape by the news, but filled with fascination.

''Only initiated understand dragon langage. Me no know why, gift seemingly.''

The young viking stayed silent, his widdened eyes and his dropping jaw made him look a bit dumb, which made the other boy chuckle.

''Oh wow... So you really understand them ? Well, I should have seen it coming, since you were raised by them. I guess it is Snow who... initiated you.''

He tensed up a bit, not sure if used properly the word. He glanced at the four-winged dragon he himself called a winterwind dragon, who slightly nodded her head. This surprised him again, she looked like she understood what he said. He watched the winged creature, discovering her all over again.

With all the stories told by the ancients and the adults, he already knew dragons were amazing, but he didn't expect to learn new things about them, evenless meet them.

Of course, he knew that every animal an creature communicate with their kind, yet he didn't know dragon's langage was reachable by mankind. At least some of them. Braan must have been very special for the winged creature to give him such a gift, or was it a decision made by Snow in order to properly communicate with her foster offspring ?

His smile came back to the realization, but it was before Day caught their attention back to his wound. Braan started and came back to him, looking again at the now swollen blue tail.

''Me sorry forget cloak...'' He said.

''Why do you need it, exactly ? I could go fetch it for you ?''

''You sure ? If viking see you...''

Nuffink understood what the boy intended : seeing how he had been reluctant to steal the fish from the fetch in fear of being caught, going back to the house where he could run into his parents or Zephyr was really risky. Yet, he couldn't just leave Day like this. Knowing he couldn't fly with this injured tail was aching his heart. Dragons were made to fly, tying them to the ground was unnatural, and it was clear Day was down.

So the chief's son shook his head before clenching his fists with determination.

''Yes, I'm sure of it. Just your cloak ?''

''Me search for branches.'' Light informed before taking off. ''You pick up plants.''

Nuffink only heared growls and others noises, so he glanced at Braan for a translation.

''Light and me gather other thing.''

He nodded, as if to assure him everything was fine here, and it was all Nuffink needed to leave. But just before doing so, he walked to the white dragon and stroke his head.

''Don't worry, you'll fly again.''

''Sure, yeah.'' Braan laughed.

Hearing those words, the dragon beamed. He was so happy he even licked the viking's face, earning a laugh as well as a disguted cry.

''I'll be back soon.'' He informed before really leaving.

He waved at the other boy and ran into the forest. He hoped to get faster to the village, but the journey remained long... and tiresome. He wiped his face and slowed down his path as he neared the wooden houses. He remained hidden behind the trees and came as close as he could to his house, watching if his parents were there or not.