05 - Same, part 1

The way back to Berk was quite long and deafening silent, yet sounds reached them again when they entered it. Life went on in the village, vikings were always noisy, always chatting, sometimes arguing over the tiniest thing, it was a very lively place.

Everyone was minding their own business as the groupe emerged from the woods and walked through the street to the chief house. Yet as they neared it, something caught their attention. A few steps from the wooden home stood a noisy group of three younglings. Nuffink was there, facing the Hisinger twins.

Long red hair, pale skin mottled with so much dark freckled it was impossible to count them, small wicked green eyes, crooked teeth, Fart and Dart looked just exactly the same and always wore the same clothes. The only way to determine which was who was the small band of color they wore on the right arm, green for Fart and red for Dart. Yet people assumed they exchanged it often, to purposely mislead people.

This twins were troublemakers and bullies, they always picked on smaller kids. Once they tried to get at Zephyr but they met her fist at the first mean word they threw to her little brother. She always turned red when they close by him, and she did it this time too. She frowned and clenched her fist before walking towards them, yet she didn't have the time to get to them.

''Seriously guys...'' Nuffink sighed. ''Just let me pass !''

''Oh yeah ? Why ?'' Dart grinned.

''Because I've got things to do, things you cramp-brain wouldn't understand.''

The twins looked at each other.

''Did he just insult us ?''

''I think so... ?'' Fart hesitated.

''Okay, that's it, I'm off.'' Nuffink cut them before shoving them aside and make his way between the two astonished dumbs.

Zephyr was astound too, she didn't believe he could get rid of them that easily, but he did. Behind her back, she heard her parents. Astrid sighed while Hiccup smirked.

''He surely knows how to handle himself.'' He said kind of proudly.

Nuffink just had the time to close the door behind him and go to the stairs that someone else enters the house. First, he feared the twins would have followed him, seeking revenge for his insolence, but he was relieved to see it was just his family. He was so focused by his encountered he didn't even noticed they weren't in the living room in the first place.

Grunter was no longer with them, gone back to his own business (healers were always required here or there).

The three Haddocks stepped into the house in dead silence, and the fourth of them got confused when he saw Braan. The boy had some scratch on his face, but most of all he had puffr red eyes, as if he cried. A faint sniff from him proved he didn't completely calm down yet. Then Nuffink noticed how his father's hand rested in the frail shoulder.

He immediatly knew something happened. Zephyr seemed saddened and confused, which was unlike her. This worried even more the young blonde viking.

He got closer and wanted to ask an explanation, but his father stopped him by slighlty shaking his head. Braan sniffed again before walking to the chair next the fireplace. He sat there before lifting his knees to hug them. He didn't face them, showing them his back, which allowed the Haddock to look sad without him noticing.

Nuffink stared at him for a moment before asking all his question to his parents, just with his look. He thought they would tell him what happened, but when Astrid spoke, she asked him a favor.

''Can you make a bed for him in your room ? Braan will stay with us for a little while.''

''Huh... ?'' He was more surprised than reluctant. ''Yeah, of course.''