02 - Chasing Illusions

Nuffink didn't really recover from this experience. Yes, he had seen a dragon, his longdating dream had been granted, but there were noone to believe him. Except from his father, but he had this sickening feeling his dad had only told him this so he could calm down. After all, he did asked him to keep this to himself.

When he opened his eyes, he was startled but grateful his sister stayed with him, her warm arms around him giving him comfort, even if she snored a little bit. He smiled softly and sneaked out of her grip, ajusting the furs on her to make sure the cold would not wake her up.

He got up silently and went to his desk, taking charcoal and paper. He climbed on the chair, his feet hanging since they couldn't touch the ground, and struggle to make a decent representation of the dragon from the day before.

He didn't see it really well, the distance, the speed and the sparkling light from the horns made it difficult to distinguish, but he either couldn't take it out of his head.

Zephyr woken up to the sound of scribblings and mumblings. She looked around and saw her little brother, wrestling with the paper has he couldn't draw what he wanted. She slowly approach him, a smirk creeping on her face, then looked over his shoulder without him even noticing, he was too focused.

''What'cha doin' ?'' She asked.

Her voice made him jump, he almost fainted and panted heavily, trying to catch his breath after this jumpscare. Zephyr just laughed out loud, bending in two. She always loved to trick her brother like that, his reactions were just too funny for his own good. She almost cried laughing, upsetting Nuffink who punched her arm just like she used to do. But in his case, he didn't have enough strengh to hurt her.

''Not funny, Zeph' !'' He growled.

''Of course it was ! You should have seen your face !''

She kept on laughing while he pouted, turning his back on her, embarrassed and even ashamed to have been caughed that easily. The good point was the white dragon was now far away from his mind.

When she finally cooled down, she took away the piece of paper, ignoring her brother's protests. She looked at the sketch and frowned a bit.

''What's that ?''

She already knew the answer, of course, she could recognize a dragon and her brother's drawing skills were pretty good, but she wanted a confirmation.

''What do you think it is ?'' he groaled.

''Sooo... that's the dragon you claim have seen yesterday ?''

''I don't 'claim', I-''

He sighed and let his head fall backwards in great exasperation.

''I knew you wouldn't believe me. Why does nobody want to believe me ?''

''Mmh, lemme guess... Because dragons all live in Drakanheim and never go out ?''

Her tone was incredibly light, as if none of this mattered. But it did for the ten years old boy.

''One of them did.''

''Especially to reach our island ?''

He growled again in frustration and gave her the death glare before retort.

''Why is that so surprinsing ? I mean, they lived here for a while, why would they not remember the place ?''

''Silly.''

''Yeah, you know what ? Just forget it, I don't need people to believe me, I know what I saw.''

He got up and retrieved the paper before storming out of the room. At least, he went for, but he stopped himself in his tracks when he opened the door. Their father was there, his hand up as if he was about to knock. He stared at them in confusion.