07 - Two boys and a secret

Going back home was noisy and time-consuming. After Astrid's scolding that went on for several minutes, came Hiccup's. Both boys remained silent and head low, barely listening to what was been said. Even if Hiccup was the clan's leader, his scold was pretty soft compared to his wife's.

When the boys were finally sent to bed, they climbed the stairs without any protest. Nuffink sighed with relief once theu reached his room. He thought they were free and could go to sleep, but it was without counting on Zephyr.

She was waiting for them, sat on the desk chair, arms folded and narrowed eyes. Nuffink sighed again, this time with exasperation. True, Zephyr was there too, and he too often forgot it meant having a second mom.

''Great.'' He sighed with sarcasm. ''You're going to scold us, too ?''

Braan entered behind him, hesitantly, while Zephyr got up and walked to them. Yet, when she stood in front of her, her expression changed. Her eyes softened, she smiled and held up her hands as if asking both boys for a high-five.

''Welcome to the rebelion.'' She laugh mischievously.

Both boys looked at each other, puzzled, but then high-fived her. She chuckled and hugged them both.

''You two... I would have never dare do something like this. You better tell me everything about it.''

Nuffink tensed up again. Tell her everything about it ? But would she believe him, even with Braan's back up ? Upon his sister's shoulder, he glanced at the boy, who just shrugged in reply. Why was he so casual about it ? Zephyr let go of them with the same smile and looked at them expetently. So her brother decided to be honest.

''We went to the forest looking for dragons, and we found two of them ! A nightfury and a...'' He trailled off and turned to Braan. ''What is the white's specie ?''

Braan just shrugged, which forced the young viking to think. He made his imaginnation work faster thant ever before to find a name to the dragon.

''A winterwind dragon.'' He finally stated with satisfaction.

But his smile faded when he saw his sister's jaded look. She crossed her arms over her chest and pouted with a frown.

''You're not funny. You don't want to relate you adventures ? Fine, then I won't relate mine. Now go to bed, loosers.''

She passed between them and pressed their head to hunch them forward. She almost slammed the door behind her, her steps stamping in the corridor and getting lower as she retreated to her own room.

Both boys glanced at each other again. Nuffink was massaging the back of his neck as Braan was fixing his hair. They hesitated for a few moment, then burst out laughing.

''Could have been worse.'' Nuffink admitted.

''Me agree.''

They laughed a bit, then changed their clothes for night. Once again, Nuffink lended somthing to the other boy, this time it was a long brown tunic. He told him to use it for night. When they finally got under the furrs and ready to sleep, niether of them could close their eyes. They stayed awake and started a conversation in the dark. Anyway, Nuffink needed to talk about the events of the day.

''So... Toothless ? Snow ?''

Braan chuckled before answering with another question. The sound of his laughter always seemed to lift up the tension in the air. Maybe that was why he always laughted ?

''What you think ?''

''Honestly ? This is... insane ! In the good way, I mean. H-How did you manage to tame the both of them ?''