04 - The lost boy

Nuffink didn't know exactly how, but it seemed everything became very comfortable with the boy's smile. Braan became suddenly joyful and friendly, he seemed at ease. The viking was too, he didn't feel nervous nor shy, which was a first with a stranger.

There was something about this boy, they were getting along.

Sure he didn't remembered much about himself, unabling Nuffink to ask him all the questions running into his mind, but they still talked to each other. Braan was quite talkative, actually.

''What yor impersonation ?''

The reffering to his previous performance surprised Nuffink, and made him as amused as embarrassed. If he had the choice, he would have rather liked noone to see him impersonate his mother like this, yet the chestnut boy sounded as if he wanted to joke about it, not mock him. Moreover, the viking didn't feel like complaining about his mother-and-son issues, it seemed nothing compared to the boy's amnesia. So he just laughed it out and mimicked her again.

By the time Astrid came back with the ones she fetched, the three got surprised to hear laughter in the chief's house. Hiccup and Grunter, the healer, followed her inside, where they found the two boys goofing around.

''Nuffink !'' His mother almost yelled.

Both boys got startled, Braan even jumped out of his chair before hiding behind it, cautiously eyeing the intruders. He seemed pretty scared, especially by the death glare from the blonde women.

''Mom...'' Nuffink stuttered, sensing a new scolding coming.

''I thought I told you to tell me when he wakes up !''

''Sorry mom... We just talked and I lost track on time...''

''Huh huh, when will you start obeying ?''

Nuffink just sighed and rolled his eyes. Grunter didn't dare say anything, avoiding eye contact with the two of them, while Hiccup walked to his wife, putting his hand over her shoulder.

''Astrid-'' He tried.

''No Hiccup, we don't know anything about this lad, I don't trust him.''

A serious argument began between both chief and chieftess, neither of Nuffink and Grunter paid attention, only focusing on the other kid. When the healer got closer, Braan moved backward, pulling the chair with him as a shield, still hiding behind it. He used the carved hole into the chairback to watch any move from this man.

Needless to say he could look scary and intimidating. He wasn't that tall, but he was bulky. Grey hairs, shaggy beard and braided mustache, his right eyebrow was constantly frowned, half-shutting his eye.

He tried to reach the boy once, then twice, but he only got the same reaction. Nuffink raised his eyebrows looking at the strange scene, it looked like Braan was a scared animal, hunted even, trying to escape a predator. When the young viking came to his side, the boy blenched and winced before pressing his forehead again. But he didn't run waya from the blondie.

''Easy.'' Nuffink told him with a reassuring tone. ''He's not gonna eat you, you know.''

''Who these ?''

''Grunter, our healer.'' He pointed at the greyish haired man, then to the still arging couple behind him. ''And my parents, Astrid and Hiccup, chieftain of the village.''

''I won't harm you, kiddo.'' Grunter told him with a voice so soft it was surprising compared to his size. ''I just want to check out your head to make sure it's not a serious injury.''

The boy eyed him suspiciously, his whole body tensed up with clear distrustful, his hands still firmly holding the wooden chair. Then he turned his head to the other youth, who nodded and smiled.