Chapter 16-Lonely

Unbreakable Silence Chapter 16

Early August 2017

Artemis

"So pigtails or jailhouse braids?" I asked Elle as I sat on the sofa of our new two bedroom apartment and Elle sat in between my legs.

"Pigtails! Then I can do yours the same since I can't braid to the scalp." Elle answered.

"Okay. But my part better be straight or we're gonna fight." I teased and she smiled as I started doing her hair.

It was hard adjusting to having Elle around-- to having to take care of a child. It's entirely different from taking care of my nieces and nephews; they weren't mine and I could give them back at anytime. Elle's mine and I can't give her back to anyone. Once I signed my name across the paper, she was mine and now I'm hers. Prince and I moved to a bigger apartment. It's temporary until we get married and buy a house.

"When will Dad be back?" Elle asked, referring to Prince as Dad. She hasn't called me Mom, or anything close, yet.

"Soon. He said he was picking up a pizza on his way from the airport," I answered. "And. Done. Now do mine before Dad gets back so we can be twins."

I sat on the floor and Elle sat on the sofa to do my hair. We've tended to sit up all day watching TV or going out somewhere since she's homeschooled for now until we're sure she's stable and okay with her mother being gone.

"I'm home." Prince came through the door.

"Dad!" Elle jumped up and over me to Prince.

"Hey Ellie!" Prince picked her up. He's taken to being a father quite well. "Ah. Pigtails! Who did these and didn't put in bows?"

"Momma." Elle answered.

"Who?" I turned.

"You. Momma," Elle smiled. "I thought it was time I had a mom again."

"Cool." I smiled.

"Cool. Cool. Cool. I bought you two a cheese pizza. I'm just gonna do my vegan thing." Prince set Elle down.

"I still don't understand that vegan thingy, Dad." Elle shook her head.

"Me either. He's been on it since he was eighteen." I rolled my eyes.

"It's weird." Elle shook her head as I grabbed the box of pizza and she grabbed the Kool-Aid. We sat on the sofa and turned on the TV to watch a movie.

"How can you both turn on me?" Prince pouted as he started to cook.

"'Cuz we can." We both said then laughed.

"Whatever." Prince sighed.

***

Isis

"Artemis, just texted me and said that Shontelle called her Momma." I told Roc as we sat in a hotel room in Chicago.

"For real? That's nice that Shontelle finally thinks of Artty like that." Roc said a he flipped through the channels. He looked over at Chrestina's sleeping form. " You know, I'm feeling a little...you know."

"Then feel you know for a little longer." I said as I scrolled through my phone. He smacked his lips. "I said a little longer. Chressy's in the room."

"Whatever." Roc said and I rolled my eyes.

***

Jari

"And five, six, seven, eight!"

I counted out and a beat started as I taught a dance class. It was for a dance school in New Orleans and I love to help out.

"Alright. Now keep doing this and I'll come see how y'all doing in a few weeks. Alright? Bye." I wave at the children before leaving and going to the Smoothie King Center to perform.

It has always felt weird to perform without the girls, but I'm getting used to it. It's just, instead of feeding off of the girls I have to feed off the crowd. Which means I have to give the crowd something to feed off. Sometimes I'd much rather few off the girls instead of random people. But I chose this just as much as they did.

"Great show, Jari." My manager, Rebecca Flemming, said as I walked off stage.

"Yeah." I shrugged and grabbed a bottle of water.

"We have another show in Seattle tomorrow then D.C then L.A and then Atlanta where we have a few days to record in the booth and videos." Rebecca said.

"Okay. Cool." I sighed.

I chose this. We chose this. I just didn't think it would be so lonely.