Chapter 1 - A Meeting Defying Fate Itself

Ryuji's always been an outcast.  Always has been, always will be, he tells himself.  That's just how it is, for someone like him.  It all started as a joke one day when he found out his soulmate was one of his best friends, Ann Takamaki.  He made a joke about staying friends instead of dating, but then Kamoshida found out and began spreading the information.  This leads to Ryuji leading the life of an outcast for the most part. 

The only good thing about it all is the fact that Ann herself is fine with the idea.  She's too busy with the life of both a student and a model to worry so much about her love life.  She'll figure it out in due time, with the help of her best friend, Shiho. 

Still, Ann worries often over Ryuji's wellbeing.  He's never his loud, rowdy self anymore.  He says he's fine but she knows him better than that.  And so does Kamoshida, his old substitute track coach and current gym teacher.  Kamoshida has an unusual hatred for Ryuji in particular and continues to get the student body to pick on him. 

Ann often tries to comfort Ryuji, who simply pushes her away.  He claims to not want anything to do with her, but once again, she knows the truth.  It must be a soulmate thing.  He's pushing her away because he doesn't want to drag her down with him. 

Ann worries often about what to do.  If she doesn't act soon, she knows it'll be too late, and she knows that Ryuji would never be as lucky as Shiho was.  She asks the principal for help and reports higher authorities about it, but once she explains the situation, no one seems to care.  The only one actually willing to help her in this is Makoto, the student council president.  As the one destined to lead the students, she oftentimes can lower the aggression of the student body, even if just a little, but it ends there. 

If only we had some way to make him happy, even just a bit happier than he was before.  Ann thinks one day in class.  He deserves so much better in life than this.  If only there were some way or someone who could help snap him out of it, or even just make him smile again.  Ann loved Ryuji's smile.  In fact, she was sure everyone did, at least at one point.  It was the kind that could light up a room in an instant, brightening everyone's day. 

The teacher, Ms. Kawakami, finally walks in, muttering "missing half the day on his first day... how is he the other half to our esteemed president..." She walks in, with a black-haired boy in tow. 

He's beautiful... Ann thinks... or... no, that wasn't her thought... it was... his...  She looks at the blond to confirm - he's completely head over heels for this kid.