Chapter 9 - First Date (Part 2)

Akira's POV

"Alright, so where do you wanna go spend our day?" I ask Ryuji.

"Uh, well I was researching all the stuff we could do and found out that the amusement park near here opened last week. Dome Town. I haven't gone in the last few years but I always used to loved going there, so I figured maybe if you wanted to we could go there together?" He asks meekly like he always does but... he seems more confident now. Like he isn't afraid of the answer anymore.

"Alright, the amusement park eh? Let's do it," I tell him. When he hears that answer he gives a smile that makes my heart skip a beat. Damn I love seeing that smile, he should show it off more often. Hopefully today will be a day where he'll be able to smile a lot.

Once we get inside, I can already see that my hopes are coming true. Ryuji's face lights up immediately, before he takes my arm and pulls me in various directions. Damn, he's pretty strong.

He takes me on ride after ride, and genuinely seems to be enjoying himself. We go on a bunch of roller coasters, and he seems a bit too excited to go on the Ferris Wheel. At least until we get to the top, and I can see the amazing view. Everything seems so small, so unimportant compared to us up here.

"You know, whenever I came here before I'd usually love to stare out at the view and consider how everything down there is like any problems I've ever had. All of it is so insignificant compared to us up here. We're all that matters right now," Ryuji says. You know, he's told me that he isn't very smart before and maybe that's true school wise, but... damn he's pretty wise for someone his age.

"It's a really nice view up here," I say. Although what I want to say is how great a view it is to see Ryuji's face so happy and at peace for once.

"Huh? What is it, Akira?" He says which makes me realize I've been staring at him.

"Oh, uh don't worry about it, it's nothing," damn it, when did I become so attracted to him? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I should be attracted to Makoto of course, because she's my soulmate or whatever but instead I always find myself drawn to guys like Ryuji instead.

After the Ferris Wheel Ryuji wants to go on the Haunted Mansion ride. "I was never able to get through this ride as a kid, but I can do it now!" He says confidently as he pulls me in line.

"You sure about this? Seems like a pretty scary ride," I tell him, and he glares at me.

"I'm not a kid, I can handle it!" He says, in the most childlike way possible.

"Alright, Mr. Fearless, let's see how you do then," I tell him.

Halfway through the ride, Ryuji's grabbing on to me like his life depends on it.

"Well, looks like the great Fearless Sakamoto has met his match hasn't he?" I tease.

"Sh-shut up!" He says, letting go and crossing his arms. Then a ghost jumps out at us and he clings to me again. Eventually, we make it out of the ride, with Ryuji still shaking.

"You know, the ride's over now you can let go of me," I tell him teasingly.

"Just a few more moments," he says, and once he stops shaking he lets go. Gotta be honest, I actually kind of wish he would have hung on a bit more. Even while scared to death, he feels so nice and warm... it's a good feeling.

"Well, that was quite the adventure," I say.

"I think... I'm done with the amusement park for today," Ryuji says, still a little shaken.