Prologue

"KAITOU KID!"
Nakamori-keibu's voice roared behind Shinichi and the boy grimaced. Poor those who stood next to that man.

Something was entirely off with today's heist. To begin with, there had been sightings of a few snipers and suspicious people lurking around. That was common. However... there had been multiple chances to murder the KID today and none of them had taken it.
If KID wasn't the target on his own heist... who was it?
Shinichi could feel the cogs turning within his mind as he chased after the magician in white who couldn't suppress his insane laughter.

Finally. The roof. Shinichi slowed down just the tiniest bit, used to KID inspecting his latest treasure while waiting for him. The door bursted open and the breathless detective entered the platform, eyes scanning the area for the mysterious man.
"I know you are here, KID! Show yourself!"
The roof was quiet, too damn quiet for Shinichi's taste. Instincts begged him to just turn around and leave, to stop bothering with KID's heist for today. But Shinichi didn't listen.
That was his mistake.

Suddenly, a large explosion filled his ears and Shinichi jumped out of his skin, hands pressed against his ears while the noise slowly died down, only to be replaced with more and more explosions. The ground below his feet was shaking and cracking, panicking eyes searched left and right for a fast way to flee out of the collapsing building he stood upon and there he was, juggling three balls in front of him.

"Do you want to see a trick, Meitantei~?"

Fans which had come from all over Japan to watch their favorite thief stumbled head over heels away, screaming in horror and fear. Nakamori-keibu could be heard, barking orders and escorting as many people out as possible.
Shinichi couldn't believe his eyes, his ears, that wasn't the KID he knew and respected.
That wasn't KID.
But that was KID.

"Why?" Shinichi asked as collected as he could be and tried to steady himself as another wave of explosions down below made the ground vibrate.
KID snickered and threw all three balls high into the air and then Shinichi realized it. Those weren't juggling balls. Those were grenades.
"Sweet dreams, Meitantei..." he purred with his sickly sweet grin and Shinichi felt like pierced through by his eyes, by the coldness in his smirk, by the knowledge that not KID but he was the target in today's show.
He had to run. There was no other possibility, he had to escape. But where to?

Shinichi squeezed his eyes shut and leaped off of the building into a row of trees a few meters down below. KID tsked and calmly stepped onto the edge, indigo eyes slowly scanning the area. KID wasn't someone to do his job less than perfect.
But as nothing moved within those trees, KID opened his hangglider and flew calmly away from the building, observing the fleeing crowd and blaring police cars with a weird satisfaction. The building behind him gave in with a deafening roar and Kaitou KID spreaded his arms, maniacal laughter filling the air around him.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"