Chapter 20: The old ways

The Tohunga was sitting cross legged on the small smooth circle of

 bare dirt, his face a mask of deep inner focus and concentration. He was at his tuahu: his sacred place. Directly in front of the small circle were ancient rocks huddled together to form a perfect shaped mound pointing upwards to the sky, small etchings faded upon their surfaces. At the base of these were placed the sacred stones of his ancestors, upright in an honoured position before him. They had only a few markings, a few rounded curves upon their surface that may not be noticed by an untrained eye. It was their mana, their power, imbued by the powerful ancestors that came before that made them different. Made them a taonga- a special treasure of his people. Next to them he had placed a small wooden carving. It was ritually bound, with red kaka feathers below the head.

His voice was low, rumbling like many feet upon the earth, becoming louder and louder as he chanted the ritual he required. His voice was rhythmic, deep. The sounds dulating in and out of the worlds. Whilst he sang he was tugging upon the string tied around the feathered figure.  He sang to another plainer carving at his side, this one representing his ancestors.

            The energy around him rose and fell as he expanded it outwards into wider and wider circles like a satellite receiver. Just as he had learnt to do by those who came before him. Slowly he was opening up to the other realities and dimensions that he walked in. The sides from the whare that was his reality fell away before his eyes leaving only the strong supports to look after him; the posts of his house; his ancestors and his atua.

“Ahhh,” he sighed. Now he could see things as they really were. Separate from the illusions of the earthly existence. He leaned forward eagerly to receive his guidance. It was always clear. He had honed his skills like a piece of pounamu in the hands of a master carver. The Tohunga knew the ways and the symbols that the other world used; he knew how to interpret their signs. Others less trained could become confused, but not him. This tuahu was a very sacred place; it had been used as long as he could remember. His teacher and his teacher before him all had used the same place. This enabled the energies to grow stronger and clearer as time had passed. As all the teachings ever given in this spot were still present in the ethers, as were all the teachers.

            He had come here for a reason. He had been teaching the children the old ways.

They had soaked them up like a dry garden when finally the rains come, especially that boy. They had a propensity for the knowledge that he had never seen before. It was in their blood, in their spirit. He could feel their strength growing day by day, their abilities stretching, reaching out. Yet, he was not sure, whether they knew enough? Whether they were strong enough yet? They would only get one chance. He had to be sure this time. He was here, now, to ask if they were ready for their task. If he should could go ahead and start the ritual that was required? He asked his atua and sat patiently to wait for the answer.

            Gradually he felt the presence of those that helped him moving closer. Energy ruffled across the top of his head. They tapped him on the shoulder to let him know that they were present. He waited for their reply, slowing his breathing, clearing his mind so he would see clearly. Before him he saw the face of a woman. Her image was strong and clear so he could make out her every detail. His atua spoke to him very clearly.

            “You must leave tonight and travel through the forest. You will come to the end of the clearing, by the side of a stream. There you will find this woman. When you get there we will tell you what must be done.”

            The Tohunga frowned. They had not answered his question. He renewed his chanting, then again asked about the children. But the atua remained silent. The tohunga persisted. “We have already spoken.” They replied.