Stars

"Come on, Evan," Heidi called joyfully, turning to look at her young son who was happily trotting up towards her. "We're almost there."

"It's getting dark," Evan commented, looking up to the sky. "Is it ganjerous?"

"Dangerous," Heidi corrected, smiling. "And no, it's perfectly safe. You'll like it. Me and my mom used to do this all the time when I was little."

Heidi took Evan's hand, leading him higher up the mountain. Evan stared gleefully at every bird that flew by, and Heidi was glad that he was excited. Lately, he had been down, and constantly asking where his father was, a question Heidi didn't want to answer.

[IC]It was hard enough for them to explain that his father would be leaving, and never coming back, unless he was visiting. When he left, Evan hadn't noticed anything different until bedtime, when he asked, "When's Daddy coming home? He needs to give me my goodnight kiss."

[CI]Heidi had sighed sadly. "Sweetie, remember how we were talking about how Daddy was going to move away, and you'd only be able to see him on special occasions?"

[IC]"Yes, but it is a special occasion!" Evan piped up indignantly.

[IC]Heidi tried to smile. "What's that?"

[CI]"It's my bedtime!"

[IC]Heidi gave a forced laugh, but Evan didn't seem to notice. "Well, he can only visit on your birthday, or on Christmas, or other holidays. It will be awhile before you have a planned visit," she explained.

[IC]"Oh." Evan laid back, crestfallen.

[CI]"It's time to go to bed now, Evan," Heidi  spoke gently, turning off the lights, and getting Evan settled. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

[IC]"Goodnight, Mommy." As Heidi turned and stood, walking towards the door, Evan spoke up again. "Mommy? Is there another truck coming? A truck that'll take you away like Daddy?"

[CI]It took all of her willpower to not cry. Instantly, she was at Evan's bedside. "Evan, your mommy isn't going anywhere." She took Evan's hand, and laced her fingers through his tinier ones. "Your mommy is staying right here."

Heidi tried to pull herself from the memories, and back to the present. Evan was happy now, and that was all that mattered.

When they reached the spot, Heidi spread out a blanket. "Close your eyes and lay down, okay?" Evan did as he was told, and Heidi joined him, clicking off her flashlight.

"Okay, open your eyes."

They both looked up to see the stars, brightly shining down at them. And for that moment, nothing mattered to Heidi except for Evan's grin spreading wider and wider across his face.