03. Bad Blood

Adalyn's Point of View
.
.
.

Aunt Amelia had an old oak tree with a swing that I'd always use whenever dad and I visited her house.  While the adults conversed and enjoyed their tea, I swung while devouring whatever words I was reading off a book.

Reading has always meant a great deal to me because it serves as an escape from the world for just the tiniest moment.

My favorite genre includes romance. Often, I showed a grand connection to the characters even if it's part of a world of make-believe. I guess that reading about the fictional characters' ability to be happy and find love made me believe that I could someday have the same thing.

There's always more to the story. Even after the happy ending. The chapters will eventually lead you to the end, leaving you with nothing else to hold on to.

You realize that life is not a fictional mentality of a book you made up.

The chapters end, just like a person's life.

In my case, there will be no happy ending.

There are too many torn-out pages, locked memories, and missing people from my life.

:
:
:

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
***Bell Rings***
...
School Intercom: Start heading
to first period.
You have two minutes.
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

There was no trouble locating my first-period class since the counselor's office was in the F section and English in H.

Entering the class, the room was already filled with lousy seniors.

I quietly made my way to the second row from the back to not drive myself unwanted attention.

Attention was what I received, however. My peer's eyes were all placed on me as I awkwardly wandered my way to a free table. I tried avoiding eye contact with a group of friends whom I happened to pass by, but it only made the situation worse for me. So, letting my last string of confidence go, I put my head up.

My mind went blank after noticing a familiar face.
I was hoping to avoid her.
But life was testing me.
And there was nothing I could do about it.

"You've got to be f*cking kidding me!" Peyton angrily expressed, crossing her arms. "You again?!"

Having to deal with her for the second time would only cause me more problems. So I simply ignored her comment and kept making my way to the back.

After finding a seat, I guarded the door like a hawk. Summer walking into this class would seriously make it better. But to the looks of it, she didn't share this class with me.

Instead, someone else stepped in.

The guy with hazel eyes.

I swear, after a few seconds of walking in, the room went completely silent. A few people didn't even finish their last sentence in the conversation when their gaze was already focused in his direction. The atmosphere inside the room was so dramatic that I felt embarrassed for the rest of the students in here that'd been praising him as if he was some sort of God.

Realizing that he was making his way towards the back, or to an available seat that is, I put my head down just in case he remembered me from this morning's incident. If he knew how to make an entrance that meant he had some sort of status in this school. He could easily make my year burning flames if he felt like it.