41. Oh, Heaven Is A Place On Earth

Adalyn's Point of View
.
.
.

"Adalyn!"
...

"Wake the h*ll up already!"

...

"It's been weeks..."
...

"WEEKS!"

There was this relatively striking and familiar voice echoing through my ears. Yet, it was the least of my burdens given that it wasn't the first (nor the second or third) time that these voices became persistent. I was weary to guess who it might be, so I left that thought alone. Instead, I gave my undivided attention to the matter that concerned me the most.

The matter that concerned me the most:
My damp eyelids were glued shut.

But you know what?
In the words of Mr. Worldwide 305: "I've been there, done that."

That shouldn't be a problem for me because in just a matter of minutes the blur will clear and I'll get a better sight of the temporary world that I was yanked to by the mAgIc GeNiEs.

Utilizing the same technique I applied in the yore, I scrunched my eyes before rubbing my lids, which naturally caused them to free little by little.

My eyes did a better job adjusting to the light than the last few times. The fact that it wasn't sharply flashing into my soul and inflicting damage was a bit of an upgrade if I'm honest.

Guess my magic genies will be receiving a thank-you card soon.

...

I moved my hands in signature circles, feeling whatever I was laying on with my fingertips. The surface felt different, unusual. Sort of like the sensation of pebbles and dirt. Whatever it was, it wasn't bad or inducing discomfort to any part of my body.

If anything, it felt as if I was laying on a soft cushion.

With that, I effortlessly pulled myself up with my nails plunged into the strange ground.

My eyes were actively scanning my surroundings as well.

Okay, first things first, I was right. Turns out that I was laying on pebbles and dirt but my clothes were clean and it wasn't even an issue, to begin with.

Second...

What the f*ck was I doing in the woods?

I rotated my head 90 degrees to the left and wood you look at that...

Get it? Wood?

Ha. I got jokes despite the bloody situation I'm in.
Gotta make the best out of it, right?

Anyway...

And would you look at that...

There were trees, fallen branches, and dirt.

I turned my head to the right and couldn't believe my eyes.

Trees!
Branches on the floor!
Dirt!

All that was missing were the hungry creatures that were soon to make a special course meal out of a redheaded girl.

I got up and using my wonderful sense of direction, I wandered to the right, expecting to find some kind of justification that probably won't make any sense in my head. My primary objective was to stroll until my legs could no longer hold me. But all the discomfort vanished. I couldn't feel the burn coming from my legs. No, I wasn't even tired. By this time, when it came to engaging in any physical activities, I'd be trying to control my loud breathing to not sound like a panting hound.