06. Walls of Sorrow

Adalyn's Point of View
.
.
.

I got home expecting to hear an ear load of cr*p from my step-sisters. Searching the hallways before strolling past them, I realized that I've been off. The Louis's residence was silent, a little too silent, without a dangling pitch. If my presumption was true, I was the only individual occupying the space. Because no one appeared to be home.

Entering a trap of some sort, I sense?

But to my surprise, there wasn't a planted trap anticipating my arrival.

This meant that mom and Damien were still on that business trip, and Peyton and Brittany were well, out being Peyton and Brittany.

:
:
:

I rushed upstairs to quickly jumped in the shower before my step sisters came bursting through the door.

Being there, in my thoughts, I caught myself replaying my time with Mason.

Turns out he isn't terrible company to have around after all. Today I had the chance to meet the real side of him. The one where his whole personality didn't involve football or popularity. My impression of him was simply a misconception in judgment based on our first few encounters.

Can I blame myself though?

Something happened, I just know it, that turned his life upside down.

That picture that came flying out of the book was all I could think about. Who was she and why was the image of her hidden? I was so eager to find out but the reaction that came after grabbing it from my hand indicated that he didn't want to talk about it.

I've had my share of terrible experiences and still do to this day. It wouldn't be okay to ask more of him when I couldn't bring myself to speak about my problems.

Although we were still strangers, I wanted him to know that he could trust me with anything.

I made it crystal clear to him.

But here's the thing; venting out an entire life story wasn't something I'm completely comfortable with yet—the same could be said for Mason.

"Oh! I have an idea!" Summer beamed. "Let's hang out tonight! We can make it a sleepover. What do you say?"

We were in art class, one of the two classes I looked forward to attending out of the other four.

"Erm...I'm not sure."

"C'mon, it will be so much fun! We can watch movies and go for a swim to blow off some steam!" she said in that enthusiastic voice of hers.

"I...umm...I don't know..."

"You'll be safe, if that's you're concerned." She sighed, giving me a sad frown. "But we met a few days ago, so I get it."

"No! That's not the problem, I can assure you." Summer has been incredibly kind to me and as much as I'd enjoy hanging out with her after-school, I couldn't count on it. "I would accept, no reluctance, but I've got a project to work on for Mr. Hall after school."

She's an amazing person, really chatty, and fun to be around, but when the word "sleepover" came out of her mouth, I immediately understood that it could never happen.

It would be nice to escape my h*ll for one night, but unfortunately, I'd be unsuccessful in doing so. Not to mention that my mother and Damien would kill me.

Literally.

"However, "I shortly put in. "Mason, my partner for the project, and I tend to work at a sharp pace. In case we get done early, I'll send you a text. That is if you're still up for it of course."