16 • Kaneshiro's Bank

7/7 After School

Makoto - I have all the calling cards ready. We should go to Shibuya tonight.

Have you spoken with Ryuji?

Makoto - He isn't answering his phone. I'd be grateful if you could go get him, he doesn't live that far away from you.

I found Ryuji's house and his mom answered the door. I told her I was here because we were going to go study together. She told me he was up in his room, smiling as she let me in.

I went upstairs, knocking and opening the door when he didn't answer. He was facing his TV, headphones on his head, playing a violent video game.

"Ryuji," he didn't answer. "Ryuji!"

I went over and stood beside him, still not noticed. I rolled my eyes and removed the headphones from his head.

"Hey-! Yuki, what are you doing here?"

"You weren't answering your phone"

"Sorry, I was busy," he says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Calling cards, remember?"

7/7 Evening

We were finally ready to send the calling card. Makoto, Ryuji and I were the ones sent to post them all over the place to make sure Kaneshiro saw it.

"Sir Junya Kaneshiro, the money devouring sinner of gluttony. You indulge in scamming others with horrendous methods that target minors exclusively. We have decided to make you confess all your crimes with your own mouth. We will take your distorted desires without fail. From, the Phantom Thieves," I read in my head as we walked out of the train station.

"We need to make sure no one notices us while we put these up," Makoto says. "Let's meet back at the station when we're finished"

I put up the last calling card I had in my hand and started to walk back to the meeting spot we had, which was just the train station. As I was walking a man approached me, offering me the 'perfect job for a student'. He was one of Kaneshiro's men. Before I could decline someone else ran over to me.

"Hey, Buddy, back off!" Ryuji growled, throwing an arm around my shoulders while he led me to the station.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"For what?"

"You keep saving me from situations like that"

"You always somehow end up in the same situations. But don't worry, I'll do my best to always be around to help. After what happened with Kamoshida..." he drifted off, not knowing what to say.

I sighed. "If I told you my past, it's not because I want you to feel sorry for me, but so you can understand why I am who I am. Why sometimes... I just want to forget about the whole Phantom Thief thing. Just give up my second, secret life"

"You can't give up, not yet, we need you," he put his pinky up in front of me. "Promise?"

I stared at his pinky for a second then hooked my pinky with his. "I promise"

That night I quickly fell asleep, thinking of what was going to happen tomorrow. But I also couldn't stop myself from thinking about Ryuji, how he pulled me close when he saved me from the man, then that led me to thinking about how he kissed me in my Palace, even if it was only to distract me.