Part 15

"I'm sorry Miss Washington but..... the baby didn't survive because of all the stress you had. It turns out that the baby didn't hold that much and the stress didn't help with that. Again, I'm sorry for your lost."

I felt like my whole world collapsed when the doctor said that. I stared blankly at nowhere and I just let tears run down my face. I didn't notice that the doctor had left. I didn't bother to look. Thomas sat beside me and hugged me for comfort.

"I'm sorry" he said and tighten the hug

"Don't be.... it's not your fault. " I said as I'm trying to find my voice. And then stared to break down.

"Im going home today" The rain poured on the roof of the house that made a noise and everything went cold. Jefferson took a blanket and hugged me with it to keep me warm.

A moment later we heard a loud knock. When we ran outside and we are now on the top of the staircase, the maid opened the front door and Lafayette stepped in, soaking wet.

"Martha... go inside-"

"No! Martha.... Cheri.... We need to talk" Lafayette said and attempted to go upstairs but Jefferson took two steps down and blocked Lafayette's way

"It's ok Thomas" I said and placed my hand on his shoulder before passing him.

"Let's talk down stairs" I said to Lafayette coldly and passed him

I sat at the couch comfortably and trying my best not to break down.

"Cheri... I-"

"Who is this.. Cheri? I know nothing about her" I said as I looked at him coldly. He walked towards me and knelt in front of me and took my hands.

"I'm so so so sorry, Mon amour... I'll explain. I don't love her. It's you I love. Please believe me-" I stood up and walked away from him

"You don't love her and yet you didn't come home for four or three days! You don't love her and yet I saw you at the park eating her f***ing face!" I said and he just looked down. I felt tears starting to roll down.

"I loved you Lafayette.... I went here in France to be with you.... I left my friends and Family for you.... and that was a foolish move" I said and my voice started to crack. "Why Lafayette? Am I not enough? Didn't make you happy anymore? Or you just played me around and I stupidly went for it"

"Non, non, Mon amour. I love you with all my heart-"

I let out a bitter laugh that shocked him.

"I gotta call say bullshit on that. You never loved me!You are the reason why I lost my child. And I'm pretty sure.... you will never be satisfied" I said and let tears gushed out my eyes

"Martha, the Carriage is ready" Thomas said behind me

"Carriage? W-where are you going?" Lafayette said nervously

"None of your business" I said and walked towards the door but was stop when Lafayette grabbed my wrist but I pulled it immediately and slapped him.

"Don't you dare touch me again, you bastard." I said. The maid gave me a coat and I immediately went to the carriage. I heard Lafayette shouted my name but I didn't bother to look back.

I am now in the carriage and there I let it all out. Thomas hushed me and comforted me. We arrived the port an hour later. We boarded the boat and I went in the room that is tabbed on my ticket. I slumped down and cried myself to sleep.

"Martha, wake up. Breakfast time, darling" A voice said and I slowly opened my eyes that is so heavy because of all the crying I've been making.

"Thomas? What are you doing here?" I said as I blink sleepily

"I was here all the time ever since we boarded" he said and I stood up and felt a sting in my head. I held it and hissed in pain. I was so occupied with pain and sorrow that I didn't realize that Thomas came with me.

"Thank you" I said and gave him a sad smile

"Don't mention it, darling. Come on let's eat" he said before pulling me to the boats restaurant.

We finished eating just in time when the boat parked at the dock. Finally we're in America. I'm finally home.

I parted with Thomas when we went down. He proposed that he will escort me home but I insisted that I'll go home myself.

But instead of going home, I went to a Tavern and when I went inside I saw that it is full of men and gals who are willing to sell themselves for money. I just walked passed them and I went straight to he bar counter and ordered a mug of beer. I drank one after another. I started to feel that my head is starting to spin.

"Hey there baby. Need some company?~" I man said drunkly and perversely. As I was going to face him he was pulled backwards by someone.

"Move it asshole" a familiar voice said and when I turn, I saw Mulligan sat beside me.

"What is a fine lady like you doing in a place like this" he said fancily

"Oh nothing, good sir.... Just enjoying my drink. And what brings you here?" I said and smiled at him and he let out a small laugh.

"You didn't write that you were going home" he said as his smile faded away

"Hercules.... Laurens--" my voice started to crack and a tear fell down

"I know. Well he's in a better place now" he said and chugged down his beer. I wiped the tear and also drunk my beer.

"By the way" he said and let out a burped "Where's Lafayette? I miss that man too" he said and when he's mentioned that asshole it just made my blood boil

"He's in hell with his bitch" I said and chugged my beer and ordered another one.

"He what?!" Mulligan said in shock "No.. I know Lafayette... he won't do that" he said and laughed

"Do you now?" I said sarcastically and let out a butter laugh. "He didn't came back to me for three days.... if I didn't saw him at the park kissing some bitch, maybe he won't come home to me ever" I said and their image of Lafayette and that girl kissing came back. I broke down and rested my head on the counter and let out every pain I have. "And because of him, I lost our child" I said with a cracked voice

"Wait what?!" He said and looked at me shocked "you mean to say is that.... you were pregnant with his child?! That son of a bitch!" He said and right now he looks like he's ready to kill anyone. His eyes is full of anger.

"Don't bother... clearly he won't come after me here" I said

"Enough of this drama, let's get you home--"

"No! I don't want my father and mother see me like this. And please whatever conversation we have regarding Lafayette, they, in any occasion, should not know about what happened in France.... especially that I had been pregnant" I said and he just gave me a nod

"I promise. You have my word Martha" he said and gave me a hug

"Why don't you rest at my place for tonight. To let yourself look a little..... 'Un-stressed' " he said

"That would be nice" I said and he lead me to his house. He let me stayed in his guess room and gave me some dresses that he made. I am very lucky to have a best friend like this man.