Ch 27 - Sounds Like a Final Exam

The three days of written exams took a lot out of Neon but it was just emotional stress for being completely bored out of her mind. By the time the fourth day arrived for the practical exams, Neon was ready to go and do something.

They were transported to a satellite campus on the outskirts of town. They stood in front of what looked to be a business building with a separate concrete structure attached to it on the back. The entire facility took up an entire block so Neon couldn't tell if the building was just the front of it or if the entire practical exam would be taking place indoors.

What was also puzzling to her was that all of the first year teachers were gathered at the front, waiting for them, plus a few more teachers for the other years. Aizawa stood at the center of the group and he looked solemnly at the class.

"Now...we will begin the practical exam," he said, "Of course, it is possible to fail this exam. If you want to go to training camp, then don't make any stupid mistakes. I'm sure by now all of you have heard what the practical exam entails..."

"Fighting robo-warriors like our entrance exam!" Denki cheered.

"Training camp here we come! Curry! Fireworks! Truth or dare!" Mina yelled next to him.

"Actually..."

Pop!

Principal Nezu sprang out from beneath Aizawa's scarf and he smiled at his students. "For various reasons, the exam will be different starting this time!"

"Principal?!" Neon gasped, "How long have you been hiding in there?!"

"I, indeed, stayed longer than intended and my body temperature is currently higher than I'd like it to be but I wanted to emphasize the element of the unexpected! Much like this exam!" Principal Nezu cheered.

Neon blinked. Even his entrance was long-winded.

"From now on, we want to focus on person-to-person combat and hero work," Principal Nezu stated, "And stress teaching that is closer to actual fighting...So we'll have you form teams of two to fight against one teacher! Oh! But with 21 students, there will be one team of three."

"What?!" the class gasped, "Against the teachers?!"

"In addition, the teams and who they will be up against have already been decided," Aizawa stated, "These were determined at my discretion based on various factors, including fighting style, grades, and interpersonal relationships...so here they are..."

He held out a list and started to read. "First team to go up is Nagano and Kirishima."

"Eh?" Neon and Kirishima locked eyes, both startled by this pairing.

"You two will be going against Cementoss."

Neon gaped at her teacher. Me and Kirishima?!...Why?!

-Flashback: A Few Days Before the Practical Exams-

"Here are the teams...First off, Todoroki," Aizawa presented to the principal and his peers as they sat in the school's conference room, "In general, he's doing well...But overall, he has a tendency to use brute force...And Yaoyorozu is an all-rounder but lacks the ability to make spur-of-the-moment decisions and apply them. Therefore I'll erase their Quirks and take advantage of their weaknesses in close combat."

"Sounds good. Any objections?" Principal Nezu asked the room.

"No objections," came the unanimous reply.

"Next is Midoriya and Bakugo," Aizawa continued, "I'm leaving them to you, All Might. For these two, I didn't pair them up based on ability or grades. Just on how badly they get along."