Chapter 5

»•She laughed for the first time in a while and it lit up the whole room. The only words that escaped his lips as he watched her were 'Damn. She is beautiful'•«

Keneally Reed (Veiled In Darkness)

•••

Sapphire stepped away from the door and Claire beckoned herself in, pulling along a bag. Sapphire could feel a nervous aura emit from her in strong waves as Claire kneaded her elbow anxiously. Sapphire didn't know how Ryan had managed to convince her because from the looks of it, she wasn't comfortable being in her presence.

"You don't have to do this," the words are uttered silently, almost fading into thin air.

"Ryan is occupied with the unmated members downstairs and can't help so he asked me to help. " she says immediately  "Unlike you, I care about those close to me and would go out of my way to relieve them of their stress."

Her face fell the minute those words left her lips. Sapphire always knew from the moment she unlocked the door and found her there that she mustn't have come on her own, but she had hoped that just maybe Claire had forgiven her.

Sapphire nods anyway because what else could she say. Time was rapidly passing and she still needed to be ready to get there early. Claire pulled out a stunning red velvet dress from within the bag she had dragged in with her.

Although Sapphire thrived on being herself at every given time which was a woman that didn't care about the ways of the world. Left to her, she would much rather be in any clothing other than the one Claire had brought to her.

It was too extra for her, but she was elated Claire had decided to do this for her regardless. It might not be her choice, by Claire also didn't refuse. That thought alone was enough for her to bear being in the outfit that she had picked for her.

Sapphire quickly kicked the mess she had made earlier under the bed as she strolled forward and clutched the dress Claire held in her hand. She sauntered towards the bathroom and immediately put the gown on, soon stepping out.

Her eyes searched Claire's hazel ones for approval which she eventually gave with a slight nod of her head.

Claire motioned towards the chair placed before the small antique mirror hanging lowly in her room. Sapphire realized what she had wanted her to do without her even saying it so she silently proceeded to the chair and sat quietly on it.

Almost immediately, Claire pulled open one of the drawers and pulled out a hairbrush.  Honestly, she wasn't quite sure what her reason was for agreeing to this demand for Ryan. Claire loathed Sapphire for the wrong she had done her, but somehow she couldn't quite stay away after Ryan had implored for her help.

Claire's hands released Sapphire's roughly packed bun and proceeded to brush out the curls letting them tumble down to her shoulders. She grabbed a rubber band and packed her thick curls tying them up in a high ponytail and immediately continuing to brush out her edges.

The two get ready silently and soon the seconds had turned into minutes and in no time the dark welcomes them.

"Can you turn your face to the side a little?" Claire asked as she dabbed some more compact powder below Sapphire's eyelids.