Chapter 8

Perhaps the light needed to dim its brightness for you to appreciate it

•••

Sapphire's heart was quickly accelerating, her breath was becoming ragged, harsh, and hurried as her eyes accessed the male before her. His jet-black hair was slicked to the side, framing his face flawlessly.

The male took quite strides towards her and Sapphire could feel his mesmerizing emerald orbs captivate her. It kept her in place and made it almost physically impossible for her to move an inch from where she stood.

Not that she yearned to anyway, she was lost in his dreamy eyes and would give up anything just to be able to get a glimpse of them every day of her life.

As the Lunar moon graced the sky with its presence, Sapphire could feel her wolf howl in delight, trying desperately to take full control over her body and stake her claim.

The male had gotten closer and what escaped his lips almost knocked the air out of Sapphire's lungs.

"Mate." His eyes had gotten darker, clearly indicating that his wolf had taken over and had appeared to claim what was his.

Sapphire didn't know how to react. Her eyes fall upon his which were slowly changing back to their usual color. She can feel the bond slowly begin to thread, its fingers gradually but surely intertwining their souls together forever.

Her face is emotionless, she doesn't know to respond to what had happened. She was shocked and it was like her voice was gone. What does she say? How does she begin?

So many questions were swirling through her mind. She never anticipated this. She didn't expect to find her mate and especially not tonight. She didn't like the idea of being bond to someone, and she had always been certain about the fact that she wasn't going to get a mate.

Sapphire's heart was beating at the rate of a speeding train.  It was thumping so viciously against her chest that she feared it might beat out of her chest. Her eyes are glued to his as silent questions weaved their ways into her head.

If there was one thing Sapphire was sure of at the moment. It was the fact that he was too good for her. Too good to be true, and she couldn't let him into her dark life were had nothing to offer him other than her dark and broken heart. She wasn't right for him, being acquainted with her will only lead to his destruction. 

So with a heavy heart, she ignored the male before her and began to think of ways she could escape him. Means in which she could get away and he wouldn't be able to catch up to her. She disregarded her shoes that were still held sturdy in his hands.

Her mind was already made up, she had to get away from him, and she had to do it fast. If she didn't then she feared her strength might crumble and she would give in to her unspoken desires.

The balustrade of the balcony came in view and an idea popped up in Sapphire's mind. A grin appeared on her face as she accended the banister and without giving it a second thought, she jumped off.

She could hear the male yell after her from above as her feet touched the ground. She immediately dashed off in the direction of the courtyard she and Ryan had driven into.

She didn't know why she was running away from the mate she had just met. She had never run away from anyone, not even the strongest of wolves, but here she was running away from her mate. Sapphire didn't want the shackles that might come with the bond, she didn't want a claim staked on her.