Chapter 15 - The Death of a Hero

=Sabre's POV=

I charged Dark Steve, screaming at the top of my lungs. He was possesing my best friend's body, and I had to get him out. Dark Steve just simply hovered above me, slightly out of my reach as I swung at him.

All of a sudden, he gripped his head and fell down, calling out in pain. I stood still for a second, suprised. Then he got up and stumbled towards me. I readied my sword, but I couldn't hit him. This was still my friend, and I couldn't bring myself to hurt him.

"Sabre..." Rainbow Steve said weakly. My eyes widened under my bandana and I rushed foward to him, wrapping my arms around his small body as we sunk down to the grass of the hill top. It started to rain.

Rainbow Steve reached up and grabbed my collar in both hands. "S- Sabre... I regained control... I- I know how to st- stop Dark Steve. Please... listen... it's the only way..." he said weakly as I petted his grey hair. I hugged him close to me as tears started to stream down my face.

He reached for one of my daggers and put it in my off-hand. "St-stab m-me."

"What?" I was so shocked by this comment that my entire thought process had stopped. My heart skipped a beat.

"You need to stab me!" He shouted, putting his head down. I put the dagger into my main hand and held Rainbow Steve in my other. I raised the sharp object and turned it toward Rainbow Steve's heart. I held it there. "Rainbow Steve..." I sobbed, "I don't want to..."

Tears dripped from his eyes onto my shirt, making it even more wet than it was before. "P- please!" He shouted in agony, "B- BEFORE HE TAKES OVER AGAIN!" His body shook in pain and fear as I looked into his grey eyes. They were filled with a sad emptiness.

"W-we can get rid of Dark Steve some other way!" I exclaimed frantically. Rainbow shook his head. "If we get rid of him some way else, he'll just keep coming back..." He said. "It's the only way, Sabre. Do it..."

Lightning flashed in the backround, and Rainbow Steve's eyes turned compleately black. He started to struggle in my tight grip I had on him. I still held the dagger at ready. "LET GO OF ME!" Dark Steve shouted.

Sudden fear raced through my veins and on instinct, I brought my dagger through Dark Steve's heart. Through Rainbow Steve's heart. I pulled the knife out, dropping it on the ground. Rainbow Steve's breathing steadied and he stopped shaking. I held him still, shocked by what I'd done. He looked up at me for a moment, then smiled. "So he was right... Your eyes are bright blue..."

I realised that my bandana had fallen off. Also, color was flooding back into Rainbow Steve's eyes. I smiled and buried my head into his shoulder. I knew it was too late for him, but Dark Steve was gone forever.

I cradled him in my arms and lap. "Don't go..." I said, tears coming down my face. What have I done? I pulled my face away and looked into his beautiful eyes. "Sabre," Rainbow Steve said, "I can see you. In color." Tears also streamed down his face. I tried to brush them away, but new ones and raindrops just replaced them.

"Sabre..." Rainbow Steve said as I tried to cover up the wound. He grabbed my face in his hands, making me look at him. "I want you to know something. You have to talk to Light Steve. Find him and tell him I sent you... He'll know what to d-do, right...?" His voice trailed off and his hands fell off my cheeks. "A-and after e-every storm..." He coughed up blood. "There will always be a rainbow in the sky... I'll do it for yo... u...." His body went limp.

"N- no..!" I shouted as Rainbow Steve started to slip away into darkness. I grabbed his shoulders and his eyes closed. He leaned into my chest and said his last words.

"I'm sorry, Sabre. Thank you... for everything..." He said softly. "Rainbow Steve, listen to me. You will not die. You better not die!" I said sternly as his breatheing slowed even more. "Please! You can't DIE!" I screamed. Rainbow Steve took his last breath. "NO!!!" My vocals were at their loudest.

I cried as he slumped against my chest. I looked to the sky and screamed in pure sadness and anger as he dissolveld into smoke and code. I held his hand, just before he disappeared compleatly into nothingness. All I did was stay there. I didnt know for how long, but it was a very long time.

It was over. Rainbow Steve, my best friend for years, was dead. I would never see Rainbow Steve again.

The End.